1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which to get, pro or home?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lightsareout, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightsareout

lightsareout Thread Starter

this is for my new computer build, i will have it networked to my laptop with a router, and i wouldn't use the remote access that is a major feature of pro. any good reasons to get pro over home? and also, when exactly is vista coming out, and even though this is the wrong section, should i jump on it right away or give it half a year or a year before i pick up a copy, if its something to get soon i'll just get home and save the cash otherwise if i'll get a year or 2 out of pro i'll get that. any help is great!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When is Vista coming out? The only person who knows that is kind of difficult to talk to basically because these days he does not talk verbally back to us. I use XP Pro and love it. I would suggest it to anybody. When Vista does come out do not be to quick to go get it. I would wait about 6 months so they can get a lot of the bugs out of it and also to buy a new computer.

3. lightsareout

yeah, thats pretty much what i was thinking about vista. Are there any major reasons to get pro over home?

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Personnal preferance

5. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

i would say go with windows xp pro.

windows vista uses twice as many reasources as windows xp and all programs run slower on it.

it makes a amd 64 4000+ pc feel like a 1ghz pc compaired to windows xp

6. keyser.soze

keyser.soze

I agree ... it is a personal preference, but I prefer pro over home.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It depends.
    What type of cpu are you going to install? If you go dual core or expect to go dual core, then the only choice is pro. Home does not support mutli cpus.

The only other reason to go with pro over home would be if you need to join a domain or you need the increased security of group policy edit.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

9. lightsareout

its a dual core that i'm using, so desicion made! Thanks everyone!

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome :D :D

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Cool . .

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

crj,
    What are you talking about here. I have a 4800 dual core Athlon X2 runs fine on Home...I see no reason there should be any difference either.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Home does not support mutli cpus. Check under device manager>computer and post what is says.
    I am betting it says uni processor.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should add it will run, just not as a dual core. It runs as a single cpu and the os sees only one cpu.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Rich see this MSKB article. About 1/4 of the way down the page is the quote "Note: Windows XP Home can use a maximum of one (1) physical processor. However, because Hyper-Threading is supported, the operating system takes advantage of the second (virtual) processor.

Rich that is also why you can run an nforce4 chipset and a dual core cpu; it is only using one core.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice