1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which to use? Onboard DisplayPort or DVI-D on graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gene_Jockey, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gene_Jockey

Gene_Jockey Thread Starter

Probably a dumb question (sorry) but trying to do some homework before my new system and monitor arrive.

Monitor (Dell U2713HM) will have multiple input possibilities, including DVI-D, Displayport and HDMI.

Graphics card (GeForce GTX 745) will have DVI-D and HDMI outputs.

Computer will also have onboard Displayport 1.2 output.

I assume I am going to connect the monitor and graphics card directly via DVI-D, but my questions are these:

Is there going to be any difference between using the onboard DisplayPort vs the graphics card DVI-D connection? If I use the onboard Displayport as the connection to the monitor, is this bypassing my graphics card altogether or is the graphics card working in conjunction with the DisplayPort in some way?

Thanks.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Personally, if you have a dedicated card then use the ports on that card. I would assume (only an assumption without knowing more detailed system specs) that the onboard display port is associated with an integrated APU / GPU setup.

As far as DVI-D and HDMI go, they are essentially the same as far as graphics are concerned, the main difference is that HDMI also carries audio (DVI-D is only video). If you have speakers connected to normal audio ports then it makes no difference. If you are using a screen / TV with its own speakers then HDMI is probably a better option as it means less cables.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The integrated graphics may be disabled since you have an add-in graphics card. The add-in graphics card is also going to be more powerful than the integrated graphics and if you were to enable the integrated graphics, if possible, you would only be using the integrated graphics and not using the features or performance of the dedicated graphics card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice