1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which type of RAM chip should I use for my pc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MathewSosa, Dec 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MathewSosa

MathewSosa Thread Starter

My Lenovo H230 desktop is pretty old and it’s hardware has never been upgraded. Everything on the computer works just fine except for the fact that there is no more memory on the RAM chips themselves. As far as what type of RAM the computer has according to “System Information” on the control panel option, the computer runs on a SDRAM. My knowledge of RAM chips extends to knowing how to remove or replace them, but I don’t know which chip to buy.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The motherboard in the Lenovo H230 desktop has 4 DIMM slots and supports a maximum of 8 GB(2 GB X 4) of RAM.
    It uses 240-pin, DDR3-1066(PC3-8500), 1.5 volt, CL=7, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

If that desktop is working and has an internet connection, do the following in it so we can determine what hardware it has:
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about that desktop will appear.
    Return here, then copy-and-paste its entire text in your reply.

Just for your information:
    SDRAM modules are used in desktops.
    SODIMM modules are used in laptops and all-in-ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    MathewSosa likes this.
  3. MathewSosa

Thank you so much for your help! You replied so quickly too, I did not expect that; I’m thankful.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.

If you submit the SysInfo.exe log that I requested, I may be able to help you further.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. MathewSosa

Is
    Over the span of a day, I’ve researched what my computer needs and with your help, I’m pretty much an expert on my Lenovo H230 pc, but I’m stuck in one area: Since the capacity of my computer’s memory is only 8gb, is it possible to install only 1 8gb RAM chip and have it work on the computer or is 2gb ram chips per slot the only viable option? I hope that wasn’t too confusing to understand but if it was, what I’m trying to ask is can I install a higher amount of gb into a slot or does it need to be 2gb? I’m asking because yesterday morning, I bought an 8gb pc3-12800 ddr3 ram chip and it fit in a slot, but when I started my computer, it did not recognize the chip. I removed the previous ram chips and only installed the 8gb because the capacity is only 8gb, but it still wouldn’t work.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The motherboard in your computer has 4 DIMM slots and supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM.
    The capacity of a module multiplied by the number of DIMM slots cannot exceed the maximum supported amount.
    2 GB X 4 = 8 GB

That's why the 8 GB module you bought and installed will not work.
    If you want 8 GB of RAM in your computer, you need to install 4 - 2 GB modules.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. MathewSosa

Okay, good to know. I’ll update you soon:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1237957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice