1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which vid card is better?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nutech12, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

Hi I have 2 older video cards which is the better to use:

1) NVIDIA VANTA LT (AGP) it has 4 chips on the card, I don't know if that means it = to 4MB ram?.

and

2) ATI 3D RAGE II + DVD it appears to have 8 chips on it, perhaps 8MB ram also?..

Anyways which of these 2 cards which would U say is the better of the two? I know there are some cheap / newer vid cards avail. today, but this is what I have to work with.

thks

2. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

I realize this is somewhat of a cheap' question.. ie. "go buy another vid card guy" (LOL) but for now I want to use the better of the 2 cards.

thks again

3. THFS

THFS

The Vanta card is better.

4. brite750

brite750

Install each card and run Aida32 to get more info, ie real amount of ram, don't know if counting chips is real way to do it, 1 chip may be 4mb. If the nvidia is agp and other is pci, i would go with the agp but w/o more info this is hard to determine, if ati is 16mb pci vs 4mb agp that would be tough to descide. I bought a nVidia Geforce 4 MX440-64 mb ram for $20 so i wouldn't hesitate to look into a new card because of $$$.

5. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

install them both, then go and see how much ram is in them. counting modules does not do much, think of the i gig sticks, they have the same number of chips as the 128mb.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most likely the Vanta will perform better, unfornately neither card is a good card by todays standards and will produce poor gaming results for all but the oldest games.

7. brite750

brite750

I'm hoping your not planning on gaming, what version of DX are these cards. I guess as long as you stick to games made in 97 or before you should be ok, the cpu will limit you anyway.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

They are DX 7. I still have one laying here. Nice card for its time though. Driver issues are the only problem I ever had with it. I had to use one from the 45 series. I forget which one but I still have it on a disk here somewhere.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice