Which vid card is better?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nutech12

Hi I have 2 older video cards which is the better to use:

1) NVIDIA VANTA LT (AGP) it has 4 chips on the card, I don't know if that means it = to 4MB ram?.

and

2) ATI 3D RAGE II + DVD it appears to have 8 chips on it, perhaps 8MB ram also?..

Anyways which of these 2 cards which would U say is the better of the two? I know there are some cheap / newer vid cards avail. today, but this is what I have to work with.

thks

Nutech12

I realize this is somewhat of a cheap' question.. ie. "go buy another vid card guy" (LOL) but for now I want to use the better of the 2 cards.

thks again

Install each card and run Aida32 to get more info, ie real amount of ram, don't know if counting chips is real way to do it, 1 chip may be 4mb. If the nvidia is agp and other is pci, i would go with the agp but w/o more info this is hard to determine, if ati is 16mb pci vs 4mb agp that would be tough to descide. I bought a nVidia Geforce 4 MX440-64 mb ram for $20 so i wouldn't hesitate to look into a new card because of $$$.

install them both, then go and see how much ram is in them. counting modules does not do much, think of the i gig sticks, they have the same number of chips as the 128mb.

Triple6

Rob
Most likely the Vanta will perform better, unfornately neither card is a good card by todays standards and will produce poor gaming results for all but the oldest games.

I'm hoping your not planning on gaming, what version of DX are these cards. I guess as long as you stick to games made in 97 or before you should be ok, the cpu will limit you anyway.

brite750 said:
I'm hoping your not planning on gaming, what version of DX are these cards. I guess as long as you stick to games made in 97 or before you should be ok, the cpu will limit you anyway.
They are DX 7. I still have one laying here. Nice card for its time though. Driver issues are the only problem I ever had with it. I had to use one from the 45 series. I forget which one but I still have it on a disk here somewhere.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online