1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which video card? ATI or Nvidia?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ClickCardo, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ClickCardo

ClickCardo Thread Starter

I'm looking at the latest video cards that are out, i.e ATI X1600XT/X1800XT/X1900XT and Nvidia 7600GT/7900GT. I'll have an X2 and a ASUS SLI/Crossfire mobo for upgradability. I'm not a big gamer and want image quality so am leaning towards ATI. I'm into video/photo editing and HTPC/Multimedia, but want the card to last 3 or more years into Vista and what apps in my fields of interest become available for it. I know DX10 is coming and who knows what versions after that in this 3 year time span.

Should I get the cheap X1600XT/7600GT and wait till next year when Vista/DX10 are in service and the video cards are up to date to buy an expensive card if even then? I'm leaning this way but want varied opinion.

Will these cards not be able to take advantage of DX10+ when it comes? Will they run DX10+ at all or do I never apply that update?

My biggest goal is high quality/accurate image. But supporting all the Vista visual goodies and non-game apps to come is important. So which is it ATI or Nvidia? And which card for the winner?

Thanks
    CC

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

ANy card you buy now will need to be replaced to run Vista. I would buy a lower end card and run that until I needed a better one.
    I run the x1300 for Halflife2 and Doom3 and I couldn't be happier. I don't know why you would buy any higher on the scale if your not a gamer then the x1300/1600.

If editing is your thing, you will see a better picture from a better monitor, not a better video card.

3. ClickCardo

LO

Thanks for the info. That confirmation is useful.

I cannot believe you are correct that VISTA will REQUIRE new cards that are not yet available to just operate the upper level Aereo UI. Even Microsoft isn't so stupid.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't believe that you'll have to replace your video card for Vista, and general release of Vista is a year off. Lots of things can change...

I'd buy an ATI card, since you have the ATI chipset, and if you want to use dualing graphics cards, you'll need to use the ATI Crossfire setup.

5. godpuppet

godpuppet

Yeah John is right, it depends entirely on your motherboard. If you prefer Nforce for your chipset, go nvidia. Otherwise go ATI.

Personally Im going with Nforce + Nvidia, ive always found nforce boards to be extremely reliable and if they are designed to work well with nvidia cards, then its just a bonus.

Also note, with SLI you can only use nvidia cards and they have to be the same card. Using Crossfire, you can use two different types of ATI. Not sure if you already knew this.

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

Not so sure about image editing but as of right now the video card has relatively nothing to do with video editing. The only thing it does is display it. About the only one that really does anything is the ATI AIW where some of the MPEG encoding your doing through software is offloaded to the GPU and I'm pretty sure that is only when your using the AIW software to capture. Cards coming in the future will probably have a lot more to do with it especially with HD....

As for VISTA features for future proofing you're going to want one with HDCP , otherwise that nice HD video is either going to be downgraded to a DVD quality or not viewable at all. as of right now there is none availble that I'm aware of. You're also going to need a HDCP monitor, cables, and any other piece of hardware the video runs through..... $$$

BTW if your HD-ready TV is not HDCP compliant your out of luck as well.

7. JohnWill

I'd also note that the nVidia nForce4 chipset currently has a fatal flaw when using a dual-core processor and USB devices, so that's something to consider in your purchasing. ;)

8. ClickCardo

John

Never heard that before about the ASUS A8N32-SLI / X2 / USB. I'm surprised since my builder makes this combination and would think he'd have found out much bbefore now. Can you tell me more about the flaw and give some references?

Thanks
    CC

9. JohnWill

Do a Google search on dual-core nforce4 usb problem. I personally have a BioStar and an ABIT nForce4 chipset board, both exhibit the USB crash with the latest nVidia nForce4 drivers with a dual-core AMD processor. Since there are a number of other brands mentioned in the above search, I have to conclude that it's a nVidia issue, and not the MB makers. I have the ABIT running with a single core processor, and it works just fine. The dual-core is running happily in an Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe with the ATI Crossfire chipset, no crashes at all.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/458167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice