1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which video card is the best deal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcseguy9, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Within that price range its the Geforce 6600.

3. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Let me add another question to this topic. Two of the cards have 256 MB RAM and 128 bit interfaces, while one card has 128 MB RAM and a 256 bit interface. Which is better - more memory and smaller interface or less memory and bigger interface?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its a lot more complicated then that. You have to factor in GPU and Memory clock speeds, pixel shader performance, and a dozen other things. The memory interface is important, but the 6600 256MB will still outperform the 9800 PRO 128MB with the wider bus in many benchmarks. And the X1300, while the newest is a budget card that can't really compete too well against the other two, all it has going for it is Shader Model 3.0 support, something the 6600 also has but the 9800Pro only has SM 2.0 support. The 9800 Pro was the king of performance a few years ago, but its now easily been surpassed in performance and quality. But all three aren't high performance cards by todays standards.

5. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

That is some excellent information, and now I can see why you said the 6600 is the best one of the bunch.

6. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

What about the following information? It would appear from this information that the 9800Pro would run faster. But I do understand what you said about how the card works in a PC is based on many factors. I'm guessing CPU speed/type, RAM speed/type, etc. Not just stuff specific to the video card itself. What are your thoughts? Any different or still go with the 6600?

Peachy (and anyone else reading), I'm looking at the different "stuff" concerning these two cards and just from the data available it appears the 9800Pro should run faster. Am I reading this wrong or does it all just depend on other factors? Here's the data:

the 9800Pro has faster core and memory clocks and a 256Bit interface. The 6600 has much slower clocks and a 128Bit interface.
    9800Pro:
    Core: 380MHz Mem: 674MHz 256Bit Memory interface
    6600:
    Core: 300MHz Mem:500MHz 128Bit Memory interface

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

8. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Those are some great resources. Thanks loserOlimbs. It still looks like the plain jane 6600 w/256 MB DDR RAM is the way to go.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice