1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Video Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bassman23, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassman23

bassman23 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am currently building a new computer and am perplexed on which video card to buy. I'm stuck between getting a Radeon 9800 or a Radeon X700. Basically my main concern is gaming (it's really the only reason I decided to build a new system). To give you an idea, some of the newere releases such as Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, etc. My board (AMD Atholon 3200 64bit) has an 8x AGP slot, but I've read that the X700 is twice as fast as an 8x AGP card (ie Radeon 9800). So I'm confused as to which one to opt for, even after comparing specs on both. I realize the 9800 has Shader 2.1, Hyper Z III, etc. But isn't the X700 newer and faster? Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Just in case, the rest of my system is as follows:

AMD Atholon 3200 64bit
    512 MB of DDR RAM
    200 GB Hard Drive (not yet purchased)
    Sound Blaster Live 7.1
    Mitsumi 52*32*52 CD Burner
    Belkin USB 2.0
    Planned O/S is Windows XP

Thanks for your time,
    -Dan

2. zupadupa

zupadupa

Do you have PCI-Express on your motherboard? Are either of the two card PCI-Express or is it just AGP 8x? What kind of budget do you have? Those are the things to consider. If moeny is no object and you have PCI-express on your board then opt for the x700 if, otherwise if money is an issue get the other one. If they are AGP 8x then go for which ever one suits your budget. Hope this helps.

3. prokrastinet

prokrastinet

if you have an express slot, than opt for the 6600gt over the x700 instead too. The 6600gt out performs the x700 in almost every category i believe. im in the market now to buy a new express video card, and had originally thought about getting an x700 till i found a few comparisons.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1739010,00.asp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice