1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which video chip?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jakewade, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jakewade

jakewade Thread Starter

hi,

need some guidance. daughter's going to college and is buying an entry level notebook, narrowed down to two- 1) toshiba a85- s107 and 2) compac presario m2105 us.

compac-

With a 15" display, wireless capabilities and combo drive, the Compaq Presario M2105US notebook gives you the tools to work and play effectively, at home or on the road, at a very affordable price.
    It starts with an AMD Sempron processor 2800+ with PowerNow™ technology and operating at 1.6GHz, with a 256KB L2 cache and frontside bus speed of up to 1600MHz. Add to that 256MB PC2700 DDR memory (upgradeable to 1.0GB) and a 40GB 4200-rpm hard drive. A DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive lets you play DVDs and burn and play CDs and DVDs. The 15" BrightView™ LCD screen with XGA (1024 x 768) native resolution combines with ATI Radeon XPress 200M IGP graphics and up to 128MB of shared memory for great images, while Altec Lansing audio is available through stereo speakers or a headphone jack.

A full range of networking comes standard. Connect wirelessly at mobile hotspots at speeds up to 54Mbps with the 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM/SpeedBooster™ and BroadRange™ support. Easily connect to high-speed cable or DSL Internet service or office LAN with the 10/100 wired Ethernet connection. A 56K V.92 modem provides dial-up access. And you can connect to printers, PDAs, MP3 players, digital cameras and other peripherals through 2 USB 2.0 ports.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 comes preinstalled. Other included software: Microsoft Works, Microsoft Money, Microsoft MSN Encarta Plus, Adobe Photoshop Album, Muvee autoProducer DVD Edition with Burning, Sonic Digital Media Studio, InterVideo WinDVD Player, Microsoft Windows Movie Maker, Microsoft Windows Media Player, Microsoft Zones.com, Apple iTunes, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Recovery DVD and Norton Internet Security 2005 (with 60 days of free updates).

The Presario M2105US is backed by the manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty with toll-free hardware support.

Item # 938024
    Manufacturer #
    processor type AMD Sempron 2800+
    processor speed 1.6 GHz
    brand name Compaq
    manufacturer Compaq
    model name Presario M2105US
    Wi-Fi capability included (Wi-Fi ready) yes
    hard drive capacity 40 GB
    memory 256 MB
    memory speed PC2700
    memory type DDR SDRAM
    maximum memory upgrade 1.0 GB
    included integrated drives DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo
    diagonal screen size 15 inches
    notebook computer weight 6.5 lb
    screen type BrightView TFT active matrix LCD
    operating system Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
    screen resolution 1024 x 768
    software included yes
    warranty 1-year limited
    number of USB 2.0 ports 2
    number of USB 1.1 ports 0
    modem standard 56K V.92
    average battery life 2 hours
    audio hardware Altec Lansing
    frontside bus 1600 MHz
    integrated speaker yes
    integrated memory card reader no
    mouse pointer type touchpad
    number of VGA video ports 1
    video hardware ATI Radeon Xpress 200M IGP
    video memory 128MB shared
    thickness 1 25/32 inches
    width 13 5/32 inches
    depth 10 4/5 inches
    Ethernet port yes
    number of parallel ports 0
    number of PS/2 ports 0
    number of S-video out ports 1
    number of serial ports 0
    infrared port no
    computer battery type lithium-ion
    number of FireWire ports 0

toshiba -

The Satellite A85-S107 brings you solid mobility features at an entry-level price. With built-in WiFi, USB ports for your MP3 player or digital camera, a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive and a mobile processor optimized for longer battery life, this notebook is designed for on-the-go convenience.

The Satellite A85-S107 features:
    15"-diagonal XGA (1024 x 768) TruBrite™ TFT screen
    Intel Celeron M Processor 360J operating at 1.40GHz
    1MB L2 cache
    400MHz frontside bus
    256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM, upgradeable to 1280MB
    40GB 5400-rpm EIDE hard drive
    DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive (8x/24x24x24x maximum speeds)
    Atheros® 802.11b/g wireless LAN
    10/100 Ethernet port
    56K V.92 modem
    3 USB 2.0 ports
    ATI Mobility™ Radeon® 9000 IGP graphics with 64MB shared memory, user adjustable to 128MB
    Realtek ALC250 16-bit stereo sound with built-in stereo speakers
    Dimensions: 1 7/16"H x 13 3/10"W x 11"D
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition comes preinstalled. Other software included:

Microsoft Works™
    Microsoft Office™ OneNote™
    Software Decoder: Intervideo (WinDVD™ 5)
    Sonic® Solutions Drive Letter Access (DLA)
    Sonic® Solutions RecordNow! Basic
    McAfee® VirusScan™ (30-day trial)
    Adobe® Acrobat®
    Arcsoft® Showbiz™
    Computer Associates eTrust EZ Firewall™
    Windows Media Player 10 with Napster plug-in
    Intuit® Quicken® 2005
    Toshiba ConfigFree™
    Toshiba Custom Utilities
    Toshiba Notebook Maximizer
    The Satellite A85-S107 is backed by the manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty.

Item # 807896
    Manufacturer #
    processor type Intel Celeron M 360J
    processor speed 1.40 GHz
    brand name Toshiba
    manufacturer Toshiba
    model name Satellite A85-S107
    Wi-Fi capability included (Wi-Fi ready) yes
    hard drive capacity 40 GB
    memory 256 MB
    memory speed PC2700
    memory type DDR SDRAM
    maximum memory upgrade 1280 MB
    included integrated drives DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo
    diagonal screen size 15 inches
    notebook computer weight 6.5 lb
    screen type TruBrite TFT active matrix LCD
    operating system Windows XP Home Edition
    screen resolution 1024 x 768
    software included yes
    warranty 1-year
    number of USB 2.0 ports 3
    number of USB 1.1 ports 0
    modem standard 56K V.92
    average battery life 1.5 hours
    audio hardware Realtec ALC250
    frontside bus 400 MHz
    integrated speaker yes
    integrated memory card reader no
    mouse pointer type touchpad
    number of VGA video ports 1
    video hardware ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP
    video memory 64-128 MB
    thickness 1 7/16 inches
    width 13 3/10" inches
    depth 11 inches
    Ethernet port yes
    number of parallel ports 0
    number of PS/2 ports 0
    number of S-video out ports 1
    number of serial ports 0
    infrared port no
    computer battery type lithium-ion
    number of FireWire ports 0

features are pretty close, both have their proprietary "enhance" technology -

processors about the same , mobile technology, etc., bright screen technology, wifi the same

how important is the "front bus" difference and....

cannot figure out which video card is better.

test drove both units thinking that the toshiba would be the better unit but gut feeling says that the compac is.

any help out there?

thanks,

jake

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Toshiba is the better unit in my opinion. The Intel CPU will offer better battery life for one. Video cards are close but unless se plays games it doesn't matter; and if she does play games then both are pretty low-end. Toshiba is also the better name and the quality should be better.

The Sempron and Celeron-M are vastly different technologies, the Intel CPU is designed from the ground up for mobile use, the Sempron is a half breed 32 bit CPU derived from a 64bit design for the desktop. I have not been impressed with any of Sempron laptops I've seen and Compaq is a name I pretty much ignore for computer products altogether.

3. Argy

Argy Banned

It starts with an AMD Sempron processor 2800+ with PowerNow™ technology and operating at 1.6GHz, with a 256KB L2 cache and frontside bus speed of up to 1600MHz.
    i appologise for this waste of space but i just need one small thing explaind to me.

it's a 2800+ processor that only runs at 1.6ghz? how does that work?

ive just asked a few people including my computer teacher and none have been able to explain
    so if someone could explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    AMD uses model numbers for their CPU, these model numbers compare their CPU to the nearest Intel CPU in performance. So an AMD CPU with a model number of 2800 would be similar to performance to an Intel CPU running at 2800 Mhz in the same line. And the Sempron line is AMD's budget line compareable to Intel's Celeron line.

The reason AMD does this is because their CPU's are more efficient and do more work per clock cycle then Intel processors. You should note that pure clock speed is not a true measure of performance. Even if you look at Intel processors this is true. The much slower Centrino processors, in terms of clock speed, perform significantly better then similar clocked Pentium 4 processors. The architecture and features of a processor can be much more important then pure clock speed.

You should also note that Intel is now using model numbers as well. For example Pentium 4 530J, 640 and so on. Here's how Intel assigns model numbers: http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm

I'm shocked your computer teacher doesn't know this as this has been happening for almost a decade with companies like AMD and Cyrix.

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

I would pick a Toshiba over a Compaq any day.

6. Tacocaster

Tacocaster

I'd agree, if forced between a Toshiba and a Compaq, I'm going with Toshiba. Possibly check into a Dell? Mine's run fine for almost 2 years now. I must say though, I hate all the crap that comes pre loaded on them.

7. jakewade

jakewade Thread Starter

just wanted to thank everyone for their repsonses.

fyi-

i went to compusa and ran a front bus test program on both the toshiba and the compaq. the toshiba claimed a 400 mg front bus and rated the same. the compaq claimed up to 1600 mg but only showed 200. ????? also found that the toshiba runs a 1 meg L2 cache and the compaq only 256. think i'll hang with the toshiba as most suggested.

thanks again,

jake

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Sempron uses a different bus then the traditional bus. Its called HyperTransport and is in fact better then the standard FSB. All AMD 64's use it. Like the older FSB it too uses a multiplier. For the Sempron its 200 x 8 for 1600Mhz.

The Toshiba is still the laptop I'd choose.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/385039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice