Which WebBrowser?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IgneousPrime

Hey all. I'm currently using IE 6 and wanted to try out some other browsers since I heard IE has a bunch of security holes, slower, etc. What I wanted to know is, which browser do you like the best? I'm thinking about buying Opera 7 but I don't know yet. And I don't mind buying. Well, I gotta sleep and I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks in Advance.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Originally posted by starman2002:
Mozilla 1.5 or Firebird 0.7
I just switched to Firebird this week. That is all I have been using since.

I use opera 7.22 full time. (plus Outlook express)

I love the user interface. I like it better than Gecko browsers. (netscape, mozilla, firebird)

There are a few sites that don't work right in opera. Same can be said for all browsers including gecko browsers, but with gecko browsers, there are less problems.

99% of the time I don't have a problem in any browser anyways.

Even though, I use opera full time, firebird rocks. It's definitely a great browser.

Firebird isn't all that great till you install the extensions for it though.

Like mouse gestures. (got to have those).

UserAgent Switcher
CSS Edit (edit css of a page in real time)
paste n go
live http headers
session saver
external editor support
view in IE. (for those crappily made pages)
alt popup support

plus a few more.

If you use firebird, you will also want to use the thunderbird email client. It's great also. (It's still missing a proper source edit like OE has though).

Opera's built-in M2 email client literally sucks. It's usable, but it's junk. I forced myself to use it for 3 months to see if I could get used to it. It's crap.

Once you install all the extensions for firbird, firebird is just as good if not better than opera, plus it's entirely free.

Plus Firebird has the best XHTML support when xhtml is served as application/xhtml+xml.

To directly answer your question of which one, I say "all of them".

For windoze, you should have:

Netscape 7.1
Mozilla 1.6a
Firebird .7
Opera 7.22
IE6 SP1
Netscaep 4.8
(or newer versions if available)
Plus outlook express and thunderbird for mail clients.

I forgot about lynx. (have to have a text browser)

I should add the opera's printing is slightly crippled.

You can't select/hightlight text and images together for printing.

Actually you can't select images at all.

You can print one picture by loading it into a separate page.

Here's another example.

Say you have 10 pictures on a web page and you only want to print the bottom 5.

There's no way to select the images so you can only print the bottom 5.

Basically if you print in opera and set the "page range" to "selection", it won't print images.

Opera is totally crippled when it comes to that. It's a basic feature that I use all the time in other browsers.

So because of that, Firebird gets the #1 Browser Spot.

Crazy Browser is cool, but it's more like a Front End for IE as it uses IE's rendering engine, which we all know is not the best, but if you are going to use IE, Crazy Browser is a good UI to use.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online