1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Wifi Adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HappyDay, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HappyDay

HappyDay Thread Starter

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I am going from a router in my house to a laptop in my shop which is about 80' away. My old laptop finally gave up, but it was working good before as it had a built in Wifi. My question is I am wanting to place a desktop computer that does not have Wifi in my shop and was wondering which Wifi adapter to use.

The 2 that I am looking at are:

1. TP-LINK TL-WN722N ----- here is a link to one listed for sale on Newegg: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704045

2. Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter ---- link:http://www.walmart.c...apter/17419471

Which of these 2 will give the best signal strength, speed, etc. or are there other Wifi adapters that are priced under $20 or so that are better?

Thanks ~ Dan

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

A regular misconception about how good your WiFi adapter is working or how well the communications are with your wireless AP is to trust blindly in the signal strength indicator on your client device. This only reports how strong the wireless signal is FROM the wireless AP. This meter does NOT report how strong your client signal is at the wireless AP. SOHO wireless routers do not provide this type of reporting.

With that said, HappyJay, I don't know what your budget is. But if you want a wireless adapter that is almost guaranteed to work in your situation, look into the Ubiquiti SR71. These wireless adapters are very pricey but they work. I was made aware of these wireless adapter by an instructor for the Aruba Networks classes I was taking. He and his fellow colleagues use these adapters when they do consultation work.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Whenever possible use the same make as that in the router as that is most likely to be matched.

5. zx10guy

Hi Dave,

While having the WiFi adapter and the router being from the same manufacturer is ideal, it's really no longer something one should be concerned about. I used to do the same recommendation a while ago when wireless was still taking hold in the industry. The reason is due to the various custom chipsets used that the manufacturers didn't do any interop testing with other manufacturers. To claim WiFi Alliance certification requires the devices to meet specific specs and features. This is why you see pre or draft used with the first devices to hit the market ahead of full WiFi Alliance certification as the WiFi Alliance is still working up the certification specs.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

And???

It saves a hell of a lot of effort if you do have problems connecting. They can hardly blame the lack of communication on their own products if you need to contact them.

7. zx10guy

Well, following this old guideline eliminates choice. Because a specific manufacturer may make a decent router but have marginal WiFi adapters. Yes, running around with tech support would be simpler as there wouldn't be any finger pointing but you may still end up with the same result....just that you won't have to deal with the not my problem response early on.

I run into this all the time with clients who say I'm Cisco only because I don't want to deal with finger pointing. Well sure, you don't have to deal with any passing of the buck by Cisco. But because Cisco knows many of their customers blindly follow this single vendor philosophy, they charge through the nose for their hardware AND support. I know what I'm discussing is enterprise/business but the same effects will result in the consumer market. To illustrate how extreme sticking with a single manufacturer philosophy can be, I helped a client replace their existing Cisco switching hardware that was up for SmartNet renewal for less money than the Cisco bill for renewal with newer faster hardware and 5 years of support.

As long as the device meets industry specs and certifications, there should be no reason why devices from different manufacturers should not work together. A good company will work with you until they can prove it's not their problem.

8. thewoodworker

thewoodworker

I use a Netgear Router (DGN2200v4) along with three WIFI Adapters (D-Link DW-171). One of the adapters is with my shop computer which is located about 100' away from the router. I do not always have 5bar service in the shop but I always have a connection. The other two are located within the house and they seem to be 5bar almost all of the time.

I am satisfied with Netgear and D-Link.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice