1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Windows programming language to learn?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Sharker, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Hello. I'm trying to decide which windows programming language to learn. (Is "windows programming language" the correct description?) I don't have any specific projects in mind yet, so a language that would be broadly useful would be good (and Free would be even better!)

I have done quite a lot of programming in non-windows languages, i.e. Basic and Fortran 95, I've done a bit in C and a tiny bit in Pascal some time ago. Way back in the dim recesses of my memory I did use Visual Basic with Win 3.1, but I understand that Visual Basic is rather restricting and not such a good one to go for.

I would be grateful for advice.

Thanks.

Sharker

WinXP SP2

2. aewarnick

aewarnick

I use C++ and LOVE it. But I started with C#.net.

3. InterKnight

InterKnight

I am also a C++ advocate. I started using it last year when I took my first C++ college course, and I have stayed with it since then and intend to stick with it. I am also trying to teach myself wxWidgets which is a cross-platform library for developing graphical applications. However, I have not come very far on my wxWidgets studies as I am having a bit of trouble finding some decent tutorials.

C++ is definitely a very powerful language; if you are in need of an integrated development environment (IDE) to edit and compile and link code and such, I recommend Code::Blocks Studio. Dev-C++ is also another good one. Both of these are free..

I hope that I have been of some help. I have been meaning to reply to your post, but I have not had much time to work on the computer since college started last week.

Please take care.

4. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

(Just edited this post)

Thank you for your advice. After reading your post I looked for information on C++ and found this definition of Visual C++ from "Web definitions" though google:

Microsoft’s version of C++. It has taken C++ and added functionality to enable developers to build a GUI interface. This capability is not available with standard C++.
    www.auridian.com/glossary/HTML/V.htm

As I'm particularly interested in making windows applications perhaps I should look at “Visual C++” rather then just C++?

Is there a free Visual C++ compiler available?

Thanks.

5. aewarnick

aewarnick

Microsoft has no version of c++. They have a compiler that builds c++ code called Visual C++. Buy the standard edition - it's only $100.

Otherwise, use Code::Blocks or Dev-C++.

6. treydx

treydx

You could try the new Express software. msdn.microsoft.com/express
    It's got C#, C++, VB7, and ASP (for web development). It's free. I'd recommend learning C#, but that's just me. C++ is like half object oriented and it's a little difficult to get your head wrapped around it at first if you aren't forced to use it. C# is very similar to java--a real object oriented language. It's your call, though. C++ is a really good language to learn.

7. aewarnick

aewarnick

C# programs need the .net framework to run though. It is installed by default on XP but not on win98. Users of win98 and maybe even ME need to download the framework to run your programs and it is a whopping 24 megs!

8. Annorax

Annorax

C++ is a good place to start. It has all of the basic concepts and is quite powerful.

Java is similar to C++ but can't do quite as much, but if you want your programs to work on all platforms, Java is the one to use.

The .NET languages is quite good if you are developing Windows applications. VB.net is the easiest, but I find C# can do more stuff.

I recommend learning C++ first, then learn a bit of Java (once you know C++ this should be easy). Then go with C#.

If you want a free, great tool to develope .NET applications, I recommend SharpDevelop: http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

9. Sharker

Sharker Thread Starter

Thanks people. I Think I'll begin with C++ and give the new express software a try.

Can anyone recommend a good C++/Visual C++ tutorial on the net? Or a good book that is available in the UK? Then I can get started.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice