1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

While Initalizing Device VKD....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Insane_Asylum, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Insane_Asylum

Insane_Asylum Thread Starter

When I attempt to boot up my desktop computer, it goes through the motions and ends up with a black screen saying...

"While initializing device VKD:
    Windows Protection Error
    Please Restart your Computer."

I have tried unplugging/replugging and replacing the keyboard with a new one: Failed.
    I attempted Scanreg /restore via the command prompt, set it to one month ago and it resumes the same error after restart.
    I attempted to Scanreg my computer once more, but it takes me to the blue system registry scanning screen, says "Scanning files", and does nothing.

I have attempted numerous shut down/restart methods, and I have even tried safe mode, which results in the same error.

I even tried the Bios editing prompt, still, with no avail.

My hard drive makes a high pitch, rythmatic clicking noise. I know this is not good, and sinks my heart down to my core.

If possible, I want to avoid wiping my HD. I have irreplacable files on that HD that I have not backed up all of them. Is there any solution other than booting it out the window, strapping it to a nuclear warhead, or wiping my entire HD? I'm hopeless!

Thank you in advance.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome to TSG.
    Hard drive making high pitch clicking noises..you know what Im going to say.
    Hard drive needs to to be laid to rest..sorry.

3. Don Viejo

Don Viejo

My wife's computer has the same message. What is the VKD? I have gone to DOS and seem to be able to search/read any of the files. She doesn't have a windows 98 disk. The recovery disks she has will not boot.
    My computer is newer and has XP so that's no help.
    Any ideas as to what I should try? Short of buying her a new computer, I'm stuck.

4. blues_harp28

5. cfk1948

cfk1948

Did anyone ever find a sure fix for the boot up problem with the device vkd error on boot up... using win98 se

6. blues_harp28

Hi and welcome to TSG.
    VKD=Virtual keyboard device driver.
    Turn Pc off..disconnect keyboard..reconnect.
    If no joy try another keyboard.

7. cfk1948

cfk1948

thanks but this does not work,,,,,,

8. blues_harp28

Hi checking disk for errors.
    Reboot Tap F 8 choose command prompt.
    Type
    scandisk /surface [note space]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice