1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whining and Buzzing Coming from Fan of USB HD enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kapustin Yar, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

I have an external usb hd enclosure. Inside is a Seagate 400gb IDE drive. Its only a year and a half old so its not dead.

Anyway it has a fan inside to prevent it from overheating. Recently it sounds like whining. Intermittent with this is a buzzing sound. Then it stops and is silent then it starts again for no reason.

What can I do about this? Is the enclosure dead. Is the fan dead? Can I fix it? Can I remove the fan or turn it off? Can I put something like a sponge inside to stop the annoying sound? What are my options?

Thanks for your help.

2. norton850

norton850

Sure sounds like the fan is bad. They can be replaced. How easy that is depends on the enclosure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!