whining fan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

700mb80min

Banned
I have a fan behind my power supply which is whining and actually stopping at times . Can this fan be disabled from inside the tower as it is behind the "box" and i cannot see it to unhook it. Maybe the supply has to be removed for access ?

.......thanks 700mb80min

Yep...you gotta remove the power supply from the case to have access to the fan inside.

700mb80min

Banned
Any thing to look out for , as in electrocution ?:D Seems to be only a couple of screws and it`s off , but i know there`s more than that .

coulb be some stored energy so be careful and remember to unplug the supply :D then be sure to ground yourself against the case to prevent static charges which could leave you with bit more than bad fan.

ummmm...,nobody said this yet,so I will.

If this is a fan that forces air thru your power-supply(blowing it in,or sucking it out),don't just disable it,replace it! Or,you won't have a power-supply for long.
If the step-down transformer in your power-supply over-heats,your voltages could go whacko and you won't have much of a viable computer for long either.

Fans are cheap...,replace it ASAP...,like TODAY! Before you start seeing the smoke roll out of it...

VERY IMPORTANT:

NEVER, I repeat, NEVER open nor repair a power supply. They came with big condersers that can store lots of power even when unplugged.

Power supplies are extremely cheap, and disconnecting the fan is a extremely bad idea (the fan is here because it has to be here).

This warning extends to any CRT monitor or TV. These equipment can produce a mortal electric shock if manipulated inside.

BOTTOM LINE: Replace the power supply.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The P/S isn't nearly as dangerous as suggested, and there's no significant issues in replacing the fan. I normally just hack the wires and splice them, since taking the circuit board out normally is a bit more work.

Disconnecting the fan is a bad idea, I'll agree with that.

Spyd, a CRT and a switching P/S are quite different. A CRT acts as a capacitor and can store a charge of many thousands of volts, and the principal danger is dropping it and having it implode. A properly designed switching P/S has bleed resistors and does not retain a charge after a few minutes. FWIW, I'm an EE and I've designed a number of switching power supplies, principally for aerospace applications.

700mb80min

Banned
Well i had a good look today , and the fan is indeed inside the power supply and not seperate as i had thought .I am not going to mess with it , just change the power supply.

...........thanks to all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online