1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

whirring noise

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by muncher06232, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muncher06232

muncher06232 Thread Starter

I have windows 7 and every few minutes I hear a loud "whirring" sound, my pc freezes, screen gets a white haze over it, says internet explorer has stopped working. Hand symbol appears, cannot do anything. Soon it will say ie has been resolved and I can go back to task.

2. lastrachris

lastrachris

what are your specs?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Maybe that whirring noise is the cpu fan. On one computer I work on, the fan speeds up when I surf to sites that are complex, like msn.com. Try opening the side of the PC case, letting fresh air in. If the problem disappears, then it is a heat problem. Dust also collects on the cpu fan and heatsink. You should buy cans of compressed air and blow out the dust once in a while.

4. rickmamo

rickmamo

also dust the power supply intake, fans, and anything that dissapates heat,..make sure you don't have a dust bunny clog either externaly or internally on the cpu or video card fans,..next check the system health reporting features within bios to see what temps things are..what the alarm/shut down thresholds are set to as well as check the rpm speed of any fans shown..watch for fluctuations and replace any that slow down for no apparent reason and may be failing to cool properly and thus overheating some component possibly protected by a mobo safeguard feature...sometime these need updates as well via bios update

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice