1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whirring Sound & Hard Drive Acitivity Light Is On

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phil18646, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phil18646

phil18646 Thread Starter

Well - let's see - I have a Dell XPS 410 Intel Core 2 (1.866GHz) 4MB cache, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM a little over 4 years old. I have plenty of free space and have defragged and recently ran a full disk clean - no viruses or malware present.
    My problem is that my computer will start making a whirring sound and the hard drive activity light comes on and during this period of time, everything is very slow and even typing is difficult. While it is whirring, I cannot easily do searches or any work on my computer until it stops. Sometimes this can go on for a long time and happens many times daily.
    I am running XP Pro and IE7 which are are up to date.
    Short of getting a new computer - I need suggestions as to what this could be and would appreciate any help!
    Thanks!

2. saikee

saikee

This is a warning that the days to run your hard disk is numbered.

When a corruption develops, say by a dust particle trapped in the read/write head, some sectors of the hard disk becoming difficult to read. The operating system is obliged to try the instruction several times and so that is why everything is slowed down.

If the hard disk is allowed to continue to spin it is equivalent to running it to the ground. I would retrieve the data inside if it is valuable.

The disk will eventually reach a stage that it is no longer readable. The system then cannot mount it and you may then complain that it is not detected.

A hard disk should be viewed as a "consumable". Every unit is guaranteed by the manufacturer by a finite number of hours of operating cycles without causing errors. It has to die eventually.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice