1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whistling sound + soft-loud harddrive sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Newuser12345215, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newuser12345215

Newuser12345215 Thread Starter

My computer is making kind of a loud whistling sound, it doesn't look like I have bad caps(on my motherboard) though.

Also I hear some sort of "disc spinning" or "fan-like sound" that's loud but it's "soft" loud(like a refrigerator/freezer makes a sort of "soft" but loud sound) makes but it's not my fans. I am guessing it could be my hard drive?

Anyone know what problem I could possibly have?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Take the side off the case and tell us where the noise is coming from.

3. Newuser12345215

Newuser12345215 Thread Starter

I can't really tell where the sound specifically comes from but it sounds like the whistling is coming from my Power Supply(or at least, near it, can PSU make whistling sounds?).

About that "hard drive" sound, it actually doesn't sound strange the longer I listen to it. Is there any place I can listen to sounds "hard drives" can potentially make when they're dying?

Also is there a program that can tell me my specific motherboard?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

The whistling sound could easily be a dying fan inside the psu, they are usually normal 80mm case fans.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice