1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

white (blank) screen upon boot (windows 7, dell inspirton 1440).

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by athada, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. athada

athada Thread Starter

Dell Inspiron 1440
    Windows 7
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz
    4 GB RAM
    64-bit

Upon a reboot last night, I got a blank white screen. Could still hear Windows 7 starting up, so I entered my password and it went to windows. CTR+ALT+DEL x 2 to turn off. Tried turning on again with same results and held power button to force turn off. Plugged it into an external monitor, which shows my OS working as normal, but laptop screen is still blank white (though I can still change brightness/dimness). Writing this post off of the same computer, just an external screen.

Dell support says my LCD has tanked (purchased 1/1/10). Problem is that I'm not working in Bolivia (South America) so shipping to a repair center in the U.S. is not an option.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. athada

athada Thread Starter

The question is, "what happened to my LCD screen?" There is an outside chance that there was a surge in the electricity (live next to a water plant) - would that fry my LCD and not the motherboard?

Held FN upon a boot up to run diagnostics. It immediately displayed:

Error Code 0413
    Msg: Error Code 2000-0413
    Msg: Cables - LCD cable not detected.

Not sure whether that means I have a loose cord or if it's fried... ?

Thanks,
    athada

4. Alternatech

Alternatech

Either one - you need to reseat the cables into the motherboard to see if it is just loose, etc.

5. athada

athada Thread Starter

I took it to a small computer repair show (next to 30 others) in the market area of Cochabamba, Bolivia. Not sure exactly what the boy did, but he fixed it for US$15. I left it there overnight and he pointed to something near the screen/power button, something about "bus" and something about the variable voltage near my house that caused the (apparently not irreparable) damage.

There are stories of technicians fixing your problem whilst swapping your new parts with their old ones (how would i know?) but this one supposedly has a good reputation, so let's hope not.

Thanks be to God.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905075