1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

White flashing screen?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by damoCoop, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damoCoop

damoCoop Thread Starter

Hi I have a lenovo g500 laptop running windows 10. It has recently started giving me a white flashing screen with bits of grey and vertical lines. It stays on and does not flicker.
    I have to turn off the laptop to get the screen back to normal. Moving the screen back and forth doesn't influence it in anyway and all display drivers are up to date.
    I have ran a hardware scan (with the lenovo solution center) on the graphics chip and it passed.
    The graphics chip is an intel hd 4000.
    What could be causing such an issue?
    Cheers

The Sysinfo info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3993 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, 2028 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 424 GB (175 GB Free); D: 24 GB (22 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, INVALID
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you get the same display problems on an external Monitor connected to the laptop ?

3. damoCoop

damoCoop Thread Starter

Unfortunatley this is something I'll have to try next time it happens. If it is the same on the external monitor would this suggest the graphics chip on it's way out or something else?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the external Monitor shows the same fault then the problem is in the graphics circuitry.

If the external display is fine when the laptop's is showing the problem then the graphics chip is probably ok and the problem is either the cable between the motherboard and the screen has worked loose from a connector (usually the one on the screen) or the cable is damaged (unlikely in this case since moving the screen doesn't change anything) or the screen itself is damaged.

I think you're best bet would be to dismantle the laptop yourself, if you feel confident you can do that, and check the cable itself and it's connections at both ends.
    The first video shows how to get at the cable behind the screen, the 2nd video is a complete dismantle of the laptop. Have a look at them and let me know if you want to try doing it yourself.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice