1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

White/grey snow screen during boot up time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheFonzz, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFonzz

TheFonzz Thread Starter

Hello, first of all hello to everyone I am new here on the forum. Now to the problem i have with a new compact PC.

I put together a new PC for my parents. Parts I chose are:
    • ryzen 5 2400g cpu with amd stock cooler
    • g.skill aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB modules) @ 3000Mhz memory
    • asrock fatality b450 gaming itx ac motherboard
    • streacom nano 150 fanless psu (150W)
    • case is streacom f1c
    PC is connected to the monitor by an HDMI cable.

My issue with the PC as seen from title is that when i boot it up after i get past bios screen and land on where windows loading screen should be I get a white/grey snow screen like on old TV screens for about 2 to 3 seconds and than it normally continues to desktop. As far as I know that is the only issue so far.

Now I have tried reinstalling windows and all of the drivers but that does not help. I also doubt that temperature is the cause of this because it never gets over 75 degrees C. I do suspect it has something to do with Graphics driver because I have started noticing this after installing AMD's vega 11 drivers. I am unsure if this is just a coincidence and something else is causing the issue. I have also tried uninstaling the graphics driver with DDU and installing an older version of the driver but the issue is still there.

The PC is working fine it is just that one thing that is strange. I hope someone can help. :)

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Sounds like your power supply is under powered (150 watts). A 2400 g CPU can draw up to 120 Watts gaming or HD videos leaving little power for anything else.

3. TheFonzz

TheFonzz Thread Starter

My issue with that is that i have seen people use same psu with this processor and it is enough for them. My parents only use the machine for web browsing with some youtube, and sometimes some MS office tools. That's all. As for power consumption I looked at this article https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review/13 and the consumption is way lower than the power my psu can deliver. I igree it is borderline but other components dont use that much so i still should have some room. Also I tested the pc with office tools opened plus 15 tabs of youtube playing 4k videos at the same time for about 8 to 10 hours and it worked fine and that is more workload that they will ever use at the same time. Also the cpu never got over 30% usage. So it never goes much over idle power draw.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice