1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

white line across top of screen and freezes up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Piper73, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Piper73

Piper73 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) M120, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2812 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 336 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 223921 MB, Free - 134520 MB; D: Total - 14248 MB, Free - 2350 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 95 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 363F
    Antivirus: Computer Security, Updated and Enabled

Hi i don't know if this is the right place to post this but i need some advice about my computer. Whenever i use my computer after it hasn't been used for a while when i open it it gets a white line across the top of the screen. Then my screen freezes up and my screen goes funny. The only way i can get it to work again is to hook it up to an external monitor. When the screen finally clears up and i unplug the monitor it starts working good again. Do you have any ideas about why my computer would be doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Check the cables to the screen, but that looks like a bad graphics chip to me.
    Also try reseating the graphics card.

3. Blu_86

Blu_86

I don't think a card can be reseated because HD 4200 is AMD onboard graphics that would be on that AMD 880 motherboard. However I would certainly try various cables, and then try an add-in GPU solution to test with. Something that isn't powerful just simple for testing. It could be a motherboard going bad or the HD 4200 on the motherboard going bad but for onboard solutions that's pretty rare. Might be a power supply going bad. I would advise you email HP about it (or call them) and tell them exactly what is going on see what they say. I am thinking...>

1. Power supply

2. Cable

3. Motherboard

In that order.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think it's a laptop since OP says an external Monitor works ok.

What model laptop is it ?

5. Blu_86

Blu_86

Great catch. laptops with the 880g chipset were pretty rare and indeed it does say mobility 4200. I use to have a 785G motherboard with HD 4200 many years ago really liked that board.

6. Piper73

Piper73 Thread Starter

It is an HP G61-409CA Notebook PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice