1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

White lines across the PC screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Volriker, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volriker

Volriker Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just bought a new PC. It have two GPUs, one on I7 cpu and GeForce GTX970. After new installation of Windows 7 everything was ok. I have installed all drivers for the motherboard and for the GPU. I started to have problems, when I wanted to try to play any newer games. I installed DirectX drivers and some Windows Redistributable Packages before running the game. Just when the game menu should open, I lost signal on my monitor. I could here the sound, but there was no signal. So I have rebooted the PC.
    Since then I have white horizontal lines across the screen. They appear from the beginning of the booting process. Also in BIOS.
    I heared from my friend, that the cause can be possibly that, the game changed my resolution and refresh rate for HD (120+ HZ and high resolution), which my older (~5-6 years) monitor can't handle. So here are the thing which I tried to do for now:
    - I uninstalled the drivers with software designed for this purpose, both in normal and in safe mode and installed them again. There was no difference. Even when there are no drivers, I get white lines.
    - I downloaded drivers from nvidia website and installed them, but since then I get in normal mode not white lines, but big white squares (big white "pixels") and the screen freeze few seconds after logging in to windows. In safe mode I have white lines.
    - I run the PC in low resolution mode. I have white lines or squares, but the screen don't freeze. However, it doesn't solve anything at all. In this mode I tried to change settings of nvidia drivers (PPM on desktop), but I see they are set for resolution 1200 or below and 60 Hz, at least in low resolution mode. When I enter resolution settings, the only refresh rate I can set is "default". When I go back to normal mode I get big white squares again and freeze.
    - I removed the GeForce card entirely from the PC and booted without. In this case PC uses GPU on CPU and everything is working well - no white lines. When I plug the GeForce again in the PC - lines again.
    - I can't check settings of GeForce card drivers and do anything with them, when the card is out. When the card is inside, in normal mode where I could do something I get freeze after few seconds.
    So my question is how can I check if the HD resoluton and refresh rate is the problem and how to change it, preferably not in normal mode.

Best regards,
    Volriker

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the lines are there as soon as you switch on then it's nothing to do with drivers, they are loaded later in the boot process.

It's probably a faulty Graphics card.

Since it's new I would get it repaired under warranty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1158122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice