1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

White Screen -> Blank Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sein, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sein

sein Thread Starter

Hi, I have a problem (I'm guessing with one of my video drivers), and have no idea what to do.

When I start up my computer, everything works fine, I can login fine, but after ~2 minutes of being logged in, my computer screen with turn entirely white (mouse visible, with the little loading circle), and then if I click or hit any buttons during the white screen, it will return to my desktop, with no windows open, no icons, no task bar, just my wallpaper.

I can CTRL+ALT+DEL, but when I hit 'Run Task Manager', it goes back to the blank wallpaper with nothing there.
    I suspect task manager is running, but the screen won't display it so I can't interact with it. I suspect this because
    I can ctrl+alt+del, then hit 'Log Out', and for a brief moment my desktop will go back to normal, but then the logout process continues and I am logged out.

First I tried running it in Safe Mode, which works, except the same thing happens. Only instead of a white screen, the computer just restarts on its own. So then I went to the Advanced Boot Options screen, and disabled 'Automatic Restart on Crash'. For some reason though, that had no effect on anything.

So I tried working in the <2 minutes I have before the computer goes blank, and managed to disable all processes & services except for microsoft ones, and disabled startup processes. This seemed to have made the startup faster (giving me a bit more time to work before it goes blank), but didn't solve the problem.

Then suddenly today, I get on and attempt to backup some files onto an external HD (small things like browser bookmarks, contacts, etc) in case I need to do a factory reset, I logged out and logged back in to do some more, and it hasn't crashed since then. I have logged out and logged back in many times before and it would always crash.

I am afraid that if I restart my computer, the problem will happen again. I have no idea why it decided to stop today.

I am using this time to backup larger files & folders just in case, and to post this message here. Any help is greatly appreciated as this seems like something easy to fix (like reinstalling a certain video driver or something), but I am no computer whiz and don't really know what to do next.

Also, I don't have the Vista install CD so I can't do the 'repair' option I've seen suggested to people with similar problems.

2. blumoon

blumoon

I have the same problem. I don't have a spare monitor to see if it is the monitor. The computer seems to be running fine, but I am concerned that is may have something to do with the power management settings. Seems to happen when I leave it for a bit, but then it happened when I turned the monitor off & also when I rebooted the PC. Sometimes it eventually comes on, when I hit alt>shift, the ctrl>alt>delete, then I can finally bring up the task manager which brings my screen back. I have Vista 32bit, and an LG monitor. I noticed no one replied to you. Have you been able to solve it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice