1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

White screen on PC LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by macbugo, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. macbugo

macbugo Thread Starter

I have an intermitten problem with my monitor screen going totally white but the program can be heard running in the background. Sometimes rebooting the computer corrects the problem but sometimes not. The monitor is less than 6 months old and the computer is about 1 year old. Below are my computer specs.
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JP
    System Manufacturer INTEL_
    System Model D945GNT_
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3400 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. NT94510J.86A.2487.2005.0906.1451, 9/6/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name JP\The Game Account
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.52 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.85 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    I have an NVidia 7900 GT video card.

Please help??:eek:

2. Enbee

Enbee

Since your monitor and computer are so new, arent' you still under warranty?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First step would be to swap the monitor with another computer and see if the problem follows the monitor.

4. macbugo

macbugo Thread Starter

You would think the warranty would work but since the items were purchased separately, each wants to blame it on the other OR more readily to a "software" issue which then includes formatting my hard drive(s). I tried Gateway via chat but their recommendation was to purchase a new graphics card....the one I have is only a year old!

The idea of hooking the monitor up to another cpu is good BUT I don't have one with a DVI connection if that is part of the problem. What do you think? The monitor is a Gateway FPD2275W. Okay, I just checked and I can buy a cable to connect it via VGA, component, S-Video and/or composite video. Which is best? We have an older computer that would probably work.

I just realized that I should put "novice" as my computer knowledge...:confused:

Thank you so much!!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Use a VGA cable, that'll give you the freedom to use it with most computers.

6. macbugo

macbugo Thread Starter

I hooked another monitor up to my computer. No white screen. I took my new 22" monitor to work expecting it to work fine....and it came up with a white screen. Once I completed all the leg work for them, Gateway sent me a new replacement monitor within 3 days! I have not ever had a monitor go out like that and the weird thing was that it was intermittent. I just wanted to post the outcome so that if anyone else had the problem, they might get some help from my resolution.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks for the feedback.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/570062