1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

White Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RoseKate, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoseKate

RoseKate Thread Starter

I've got a Dell Dimension 4600, that I've had for about three years now. It has never given me problems or done anything weird until the past couple of weeks. I will be either on the Internet or, as what happened today, just starting the computer up and my monitor screen just goes all white. The computer was not hanging, because the lights on the tower were still blinking intermittently so it was obviously still "thinking". No response from the keyboard or mouse, so I have to push in the button until it goes off. I wait about 5 or 10 minutes, turn it on again, and it is fine. Turning off and on the monitor does not clear it. However, today, when I turned it back on, the Windows XP blue start up screen came on with a lot of data and file names listed, it was deleting files as I watched, and it was showing percentages completed. Apparently "fixing" itself, I let it run. When at 100%, it restarted and seems to be fine so far. I hope this isn't a major system problem. My virus scans are still coming up all clean, and spyware is deleted regularly. Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tracy

2. Augie65

Augie65

It sounds like it ran a chkdsk to correct errors and fixed them. You can run it yourself and defrag your computer periodically. To run the check disk, open My Computer, right click on your system local disk and select Properties. On the Tools tab click the button Check Now.
    Check the boxes and click Start. You will be asked to run the chkdsk at reboot, just click Yes. The check will run the next time your computer boots up. You can run the defrag later from the same Tools tab or from Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Disk Defragmenter.

3. RoseKate

RoseKate Thread Starter

Thanks, you mentioned chkdsk and that's exactly what I saw on the screen. So it looks like the computer took care of its problem this time for the most part, correct? Thank you so much for the information!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!