1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Who is linking to my site???

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by MeinDCIC, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MeinDCIC

MeinDCIC Thread Starter

Does anyone know of a free service that will show you who is linking to your site? Google claims to have this - using link:domainname - but it does not return any info for my domain.

Any sites that offer a service like that would be very helpful.

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Than nobody is linking to your domain...

Its not very accurate but it works somewhat.

3. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

Does your hosting provide some type of statistics, most do. They run off the server logs and will show the referrers.

4. MeinDCIC

MeinDCIC Thread Starter

Well that is not true - I have seen other links on other sites that point right to us - so the fact that it does not return anything is off for some reason.

5. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

You are right, googles link:site.com only includes links pointed directly at the domain. So a link to site.com would show, but a link to site.com/greatpage.html would not. It also only shoes the links from sites it has crawled, those that haven't been crawled or have been banned would not show up.

I think your best bet is to get some type of website statistics and watch the referrers.

6. cowplopmorris

cowplopmorris

I thought it was only links that Google followed were in link:example.com

For example, Google may have not seen www.domain.com/page.htm which links to www.example.com/. In this case, www.domain.com/page.htm would not appear in link:example.com

Google also follows pages out of your site, and your pages can be indexed this way even if no-one links to you.

7. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I second this.

Peace...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice