1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Who is Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by malcy, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malcy

malcy Thread Starter

Hi.

This is a strange topic but it is driving me up the wall and round the bend.!!!!

My Windows XP installation CD (and Recovery Consolse) cannot detect XP or the hard disk it is installed on.

Yet in Vista (on my second HD)(which I can boot in to, hence this thread) in My Computer I can see the C drive, all of the files (including Windows).

What identifies an OS (ie XP) to the wider world (install disks, MBR, Recovery console etc...). What file or registry entry says 'Hey, here I am'

If I can get to the bottom of it, maybe I can find a solution to my XP boot woes.

I apologise if all this seems flip but me head is spinning with not being able to get XP started again and is getting to me.

Thanks, as always.
    Mal.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How did you install Vista on the second drive?
    You may have made the second drive the BOOT drive and now can not get to your XP drive.

3. malcy

malcy Thread Starter

When I bought Vista HP I also purchased a second HD and chose the location for Vista from the Vista installation.

Both have worked fine together. After Vista was installed I used VistaBootPro 3.1 to set priorities (XP first unless Vista is selected)

The actual error message on booting Windows is \system32\config\system is corrupted.
    I'm just getting nowhere at all. XP installation disk, Recovery Console just don't see my HD nor Windows!
    Do you think I could be infected with an MBR virus (if such things exist?)

Cheers
    Mal.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You have a SATA HD. Windows XP came out before SATA, so it doesn't include drivers for SATA controllers, and needs a driver provided to see the drive (The F6 prompt you see after booting from the CD). Unfortunately, this needs to be provided via a floppy drive. If you don't have a floppy, the driver can be slipstreamed into an XP CD.

But, if you can access the drive that XP is installed on from Vista, you can probably fix the problem that way.

This article shows the steps: How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
    Don't bother with the repair folder or tmp folder,
    Rename the old files as shown in Part one.
    Goto part two, copy the files directly to the Windows\System32\config folder from the snapshot folder, ,then rename them there.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice