1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Who or what stole my Recycle Bin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lyk2no, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

I have XPHome.
    After I installed Norton 2003 Professional Edition Anti Virus my Recycle bin has replaced by something called Norton Protected Recycle Bin.
    I have no idea on how it works.

Anyone know how to get rid of this thing and get
    my old recycle bin back? :confused:

2. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Norton just continues to add to their "bloat". Sorry, can't help you, I've never used Norton or McAfee.

3. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

JohnO28356,
    Thanks so very much for your (?) help.

4. cammi

cammi

that wasn't help.

this isn't either... i have norton, but i've reverted it back to the normal bin so i cant visualise it at the moment. but there's probably a button or something somewhere that says you can change it back to normal.

5. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

If you reverted back to normal bin how did you do it? :confused:

6. EvileYe

EvileYe

Right click on the Recycle bin choose properties and set Nortons not to protect it.

7. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

Doesn't this just delete what's in Norton Protected Recycle Bin?
    How do I get rid of Norton Recycle all together and get the original
    Microsoft Recycle Bin back?

8. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Lyk2no--- Hey, at least I was apologetic about it. Just had to get in my daily dig at Norton.

9. milomorai

milomorai

why bother? this one acts just like the original but has better recovery options. and, john, i don't know what you have against norton but i am in the other camp - it is still one of the best utility suites out there.

gavi

10. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

Yes you were and I appreciate that. But, now you have milomoral to deal with.

11. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

OK, milomorai--- If you're an attorney, you'll probably say my evidence is hearsay since I have no first hand knowledge. But over the years, I've seen a lot more slams at Norton than I've seen praise. I know- when things work you don't hear about it, right? The slams I refer to are from people who have used the programs in Norton's suites. One program gets praise, while the rest of the suite gets slammed. Slams are way ahead. Can't get specific since I never paid much attention to the program names. What I do know is that I like to use the smallest, least intrusive program I can find to do a job. (Also why I don't use McAfee). You must admit Norton has bloat, lot's of the really big companies' programs do.

12. KeithKman

KeithKman

Do this to ge the recycle Bin back to normal:

1) Open NAV 2003

2) Click Options

3) Under Other click Advanced Tools

4) Under Noton Protected Recycle Bin Properties click the Modify button

5) Uncheck Enable protection

6) Click the Empty Protected Files button

7) Click the Recycle Bin tab at the top

8) Seclect Standard Recycle Bin

9) Under Appearence in the Title box type in Recycle Bin

10) Click ok and exit NAV 2003.

Hope this helps!

13. coderitr

coderitr

While the normal recycle bin catches files you delete from Explorer, the Norton Protected Recycle Bin catches files that you (or any application) delete from everywhere else -- including the command prompt. To get to the standard recycle bin right-click it and select Explore from the context menu. Follow what KeithKman said if you want to turn off the Notron protection altogether.

I've been using Norton products since it was just Peter Norton and Norton Utilities for DOS/Win 3.1 was all the rage. I've never had any complaints about their products. They have always done a good job of integrating into Windows. I never used McAfee so I can't speak intelligently about the differences. I use Norton/Symantec products and plan to continue until someone proves to me that someone else's product is better. I'm not about to spend money on a product that may or may not be better than the tried and true.

Just one man's opinion :)

14. Emtronics

Emtronics

To get a "normal" Recycle Bin, go to ADD/REMOVE Programs icon in Control Panel and remove Norton. Then go HERE for EZ eTrust A/V. Fix a lot of virus infected, slow running systems on computers with Norton, never one with eTrust from CA. (Computer Associates) Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion from experience. Thanks :D

In computers since 1990. In computer years, that's a long time.

15. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Hi Emtronics. I've been using eTrust for over 2 years, I guess. One of those small programs I like. I update it every week when I do maintenance, and have never had a virus on either computer.
    It caught Blaster and quarantined it on my new computer before it was identified and named. Don't remember what eTrust called it, just some generic term.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice