1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Who provides MAC addresses

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JPLamb, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Hi all,

A question came up yesterday in a training course when we were discussing MAC addresses and what role they play in networking. the question was

'Who provides the manufacturer with the Mac addresses that they can assign to a wireless chip / device?'

Does anybody have any ideas, had a look on Google but did not get to far.

Cheers

JPL

PS Sorry if this should be in a different section, was not sure were to put it.

2. gyclone

gyclone

3. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, it came up and nobody was sure on the answer.

cheers

4. rickmamo

rickmamo

My guess is "UL" (underwriters lab) has a regional coding system and assigns a bunch to each manufacturer for them to assign to thier devices... I have no idea it's just my guess.

5. rickmamo

rickmamo

the article does not say who issues the OUI to the manufacturers' administrators to then be assigned to the devices though

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice