Tech Support Guy banner

Who used to use BBS [bulletin board] Systems

Tags
bbs
2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dlipman 
#1 ·
The internet has come a long way from the times of BBS. Who here used to use them?

For those who don't know, BBS was before what we now have as the Internet. BBS basically was like Teletext, but better. Dailing up the BBS via an acoustic coupler modem or a 300 baud Smartmodem. It had email and messaging, games, stores, and loads of things you could do.

In the UK we had Prestel and Micronet and FidoNet, later had Compuserve and BT. I still have and use my original email address from the early 80's as well as memories of running up the phone bill to thousands of pounds. Ahh, fun times. Oh, and you can access them today, via telnet, putty or just via a browser.

See less See more
#2 ·
o_O the BBS!! I not only remember them, I spent many many hours on a few of them. I found them when I was one of the new "where is the off key again?" people. Sometime in the late 80's when the 'home computer' was becoming a thing.....AOL was THE internet service because you didn't have to learn to navigate a browser, and 300 baud was lightening fast!! Just thinking about them brings a smile to my face, and some really good memories back to the forefront of my memory.

#3 ·
Yes, I totally agree and they were great. It's nice to remember where we came from and how far we have got in regards to technology. But, as amazing and cool as tech is today, I do miss those days. It was all exciting, not like things are today as most people are used to technology.

#4 ·
I do miss those days. It was all exciting, not like things are today as most people are used to technology.
I would certainly agree with you. I learned to copy/paste and how to save a file where *I* wanted it saved to instead of where the computer wanted to put it. Such huge things to me at the time, yet seems to trivial today. Do you remember the incredible ASCII graphics that used to be posted to the boards? Those folks had some serious talent!!

#9 · (Edited)
At the risk of seeming like a fish out of water here, I know of the mysterious acronyms and codes what you folks speak of, but certainly not enough to make a valid post here.

After joining TSG in 2000 ( that would be A.D.), as (I think) this site was know as "helponthe.net" the BB type format was all I knew and welcomed = after Window 3.1, that is.
And I don't know it that's what you guys mean by BBS...VBB?...?
Though I knew of DOS, ASCI and other possible interfaces, CAD, etc., the Tandy was a Pong deal (plus an actual work computer at the time.) And we call that dinosaur a database! :eek:

So my point is, this is an old timer resisting (but accepting) change in his youth, and resisting (buy not denying) change in older age.

'Tis said the more things change the more they stay the same, but if so, you have to look beyond means to have a status quo, and that means changing with the times...as my Boss in 1978 said, times change, change with it or be left behind.

Perhaps it was meant more to the human condition, than changing technology.

Sorry, just a thought I had to get that off the chest due to frustration at changing times :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.