1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whole computer system lags after a short period of gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by Eog, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eog

Eog Thread Starter

Model: Dell XPS 15 9560
    Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz
    RAM: 16Gb DDR4
    GPU: GTX1050 (Intel HD630 Integrated)

So this has been an issue with my PC pretty much since I got it back in September however has just recently gotten so bad that it can't be ignored. When running a large program such as Counter Strike or Rocket League the game will run fine at around 190fps/150fps respectively however shortly after will drop to an apparent '60fps' however it is extremely laggy and looks more like 10. This occasionally will fix itself for around a minute then break again. Recently though it will not fix and the whole computer system will lag until the application is closed. It will then take up to 5 minutes for the PC to run normally again.

At first I thought it was a thermal issue but have downloaded multiple PC monitoring programs and found this not to be the case. CPU and GPU sit at around 70C / 60C. I have reinstalled and updated drivers including the integrated graphics driver and have factory reset my PC 3 times. Nothing seems to work.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I think it very unlikely you will make any progress
    Maybe you found out after buying the laptop last September and experiencing the problems, that the laptop itself is so thin, that the cooling system is quite insufficient for the GTX1050
    Many reports have been made both on the Dell forums - just two examples
    https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/...and-fps-drop-on-my-XPS-15-latest/td-p/5843939
    and other forums
    see this
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...w-with-all-xps-15-9560-gpu-throttling.802641/

In view of the perceived recent increased problems with low fps I recommend you contact DELL asap as of course you are close to the one year warranty

It may be worthwhile you trying this
    Nvidia Control Panel and change the “Maximum pre-rendered frames” value to “2”.

However I really do advise contact with Dell

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice