1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whole Disk Encryption for a Win 7 Pro Laptop

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tjtom, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjtom

tjtom Thread Starter

Hello All,

I wish to encrypt the whole disk (OS, apps and data) in my old backup laptop. My OS is Windows 7 Professional. The computer is in good condition but is about 6 years old so I am not planning on buying an OS upgrade. I mention that because most of the searching I've done has led to articles recommending that BitLocker be used to encrypt a Windows 7 Pro system. However, that is not an option under Win 7 Pro as only the Win 7 Enterprise and Ultimate versions support BitLocker.

After researching my options I have settled on using VeraCrypt. My question for the group is... have I missed anything else I should consider? Also, is there a dark downside to using VeraCrypt that I may have missed?

I plan to use VeraCrypt with pre-boot authentication on the laptop and also use it on the external USB hard drives that I use for backups.

Any advise / comments / better ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

VeraCrypt is fine. The only tip is do NOT forget your password(s).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice