Whole home network setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dvwolde

I have a home network setup utilizing 3 routers (2 of which are wireless). It works okay, but it's segmented and I have to keep track of what is connected to which router in order to use certain connected devices. Not all devices work unless connected to specific router. I'd like to get help to understand, based on the list of network devices below (and their locations), what's the best way to setup the network for optimal and seamless use of the network and all devices. Thank you in advance!!

Cox Cable Modem
Netgear WNR3500Lv2 Wireless Gigabit Router (currently connected wired to cable modem as main router)
Two (2) ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-band 3x3 AC1750 Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router (one in basement and other upstairs... each hard wired to Netgear router above)
Home HP Computer (In basement connected wireless) - this computer also acts as iTunes Home sharing PC
HP Printer (In basement connected wireless)
Samsung Smart TV (hard wired to the basement RT-AC66u)
Apple TV Basement (hard wired to the basement RT-AC66u)
Western Digital MyCloud Hard drive (hard wired to the basement RT-AC66u) - this serves as storage for all music and movies accessed via home sharing (above PC) by all Apple TV's, iPads and iPhones
IP camera (in basement connected wireless)
Samsung Smart TV (upstairs and connected wireless)
Western Digital MyBook Hard drive (hard wired to upstairs RT-AC66u)
Apple TV Family Room (connected wireless)
Insteon Hub (hard wired to upstairs RT-AC66u) - For use to control home lighting and outlets
IP Camera (hard wired to upstairs RT-AC66u)
Samsung Smart TV (upstairs and connected wireless)
Apple TV Bedroom (connected wireless)

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Ditch the way you have things set up for wireless and get a unified wireless system such as an Eero, Netgear Orbi, or Google WiFi.

TerryNet

Terry
I can't beat the above advice, but you can improve the existing configuration (if you want everything on one LAN) by using the ASUS routers as only ethernet switches and wireless access points. The short description of that is to connect them to the Netgear router via LAN port, disable the Dhcp server, and assign them an IP address within the Netgear's LAN subnet but outside its Dhcp range. Will post a full procedure if you desire it.

dvwolde

I understand the recommendation to go to a unified system... That certainly is the easy way out, but I've made an investment in what I have and I can't believe it's that difficult to design.

dvwolde

To TerryNet.... that is the advice I'm looking for. Yes, I would appreciate you posting the full procedure!! Thx!!

dvwolde

Quick question.... when setting the ASUS routers as access points, how will the IP camera setup change, if at all? Will it impact my ability to view the video live via my iPhone when traveling remotely?

TerryNet

Terry
JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected! [TerryNet Note: assume that all routers made in the last five or six years or more have auto-sensing ports.]

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

TerryNet

Terry
Quick question.... when setting the ASUS routers as access points, how will the IP camera setup change, if at all?
I don't know the IP camera setup now (maybe because I didn't read your initial post closely enough). The end result is the same as if all your devices were connected directly to the Netgear router's ethernet or wireless. I assume that the three routers now use three different LAN IP subnets and that the cameras have static IP addresses. If so, then the camera IP addresses will need to change since they will be on the Netgear subnet.

Will it impact my ability to view the video live via my iPhone when traveling remotely?
No. You will still need a way to access your public IP address and will still need port forwarding on the Netgear (assuming you need it now). If you now have a second layer of port forwarding on an ASUS router you will no longer need that.

dvwolde

Thank you!! I will be going through the process of reconfiguring my whole network tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes and if I have any additional questions. Thanks again!!

TerryNet

Terry
You're welcome. :) Good luck with the reconfigure. Take your time; it's almost impossible to get everything working first try!

dvwolde

Quick question... do I setup the 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands to the same SSID? Or, do I end up with two (2) SSID's on my network... one for 2.4Ghz and another for the 5GHz?

TerryNet

Terry
I have no idea if it makes any difference. I prefer to use different SSIDs (mine are TRENDing_2.4 and TRENDing_5) to make it easy for me to choose which band I want to use with each device.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online