1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whole PC has stutter issues

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Devairen, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devairen

Devairen Thread Starter

These stutter issues are two-fold. Firstly, sometimes my pc will constantly stutter right from startup, audio and video stuttering every half second. This isn't often the case, and after a full factory reset this significantly lessened, I've also noticed that it sometimes starts when my pc gets really hot (with the heat wave now).

The other kind is a small stutter of 2-3 seconds that is always present, it will present itself every 20 minutes or so (I only notice it when gaming, but it might occur at different times too).

In task manager nothing seems to be 100%, so i'm not sure what's causing the issue. I have a strong PC (see below), so any help would be enourmously appreciated.

Specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 16
    RAM: 16337 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (164 GB Free); D: 2794 GB (2733 GB Free); E: 917 GB (917 GB Free);
    Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group, X370GT5
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I used to have video evidence of me recording the stuttering while gaming, but I lost it upon factory reset.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

What PSU do you have ?

3. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
    You might have some programs running on startup causing startup issues, such as an extra antivirus. (Also if you have an antivirus other than defender, it will cause computer being slow issues). Windows is usually searching for updates, so you might have updates installing in the background(What you may see in Task Manager: Superfetch, Modules Installer, Windows Update, etc, dont disable these). The Microsoft Store updates too, it will appear as wsappx in task manager.

4. Devairen

Devairen Thread Starter

No other defenders, almost no other programs besides some games actually, since factory reset. Also if something in task manager was throttling wouldn't i be able to see it in the values being 100%?

5. Devairen

Devairen Thread Starter

Be quiet system power 7 700W

The PC was bought as a whole from a custom building shop a while ago, so I would assume there's definitely enough wattage?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. jenae

jenae

Hi, oddly enough the cause of this problem is often the sound card, check you have the latest drivers and you are not receiving drivers from windows updates.

Also when the problem surfaces press the win + ctrl+shift+B keys together, your screen will go black and you will hear a beep, this stops and restarts your video card, see if the stuttering now stops(only takes a few seconds), don't make a habit of doing this it is used for frozen screens.

8. Devairen

Devairen Thread Starter

Okay so I was thinking of CPU throttling as well, but I just got continuous stuttering on start-up again and but before I got any recording software installed and working it disappeared out of the blue. Regardless, I uploaded screenshots of my temperatures idle and under stress (idle was done shortly after the stress test, but values shouldn't differ too much)/

I'm not sure about the exact model of the cpu cooler, but it is from the "be quiet!" brand as well, I believe the Pure Rock Slim (because it has three heatsink prongs).

Stress.png Idle.png

9. Devairen

Devairen Thread Starter

Thanks, will try and update if it helps. I checked my drivers on device manager but they are all updated according to windows.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Have a look at the temps in the Bios please, they will give a good value for idle.

11. Devairen

Devairen Thread Starter

Update: the problem occurred again and I managed to record it. It disappeared right after tho so I couldn't yet try the win+ctrl+shift+B combination.

https://streamable.com/qgv1h

12. Devairen

Devairen Thread Starter

Check temps while i'm in the BIOS? How do I go about that, I know how to launch into BIOS but you can't see any temperature in there can you?

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You usually can see temps in the newer UEFI bios types. You motherboard manual will show how if it can do it.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  15. Angela001

Angela001

In network settings, turn off the switch which allows microsoft to let others connect to your computer to get access to downloads. Stop microsoft from using your computer as a webbot. Hope it helps!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!