1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whole Slew of Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lyhipu9, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lyhipu9

lyhipu9 Thread Starter

Hi, it seems that my Windows XP is having some problems...

First of all, my Help and Support doesn't work at all, but that's not important.

Secondly, whenever I open Microsoft/Windows Update, it opens in Firefox, and shows everything (cause of IE Tab add-on), but it opens a blank IE windows as well... The URL works fine in both browsers.

Also an error pops up whenever I open Gigaget (probably cause of Ad banner, but I've never seen it). Screenshot of error:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly, and most importantly, it seems that the Explorer file manager on my Guest account is messed up. Whenever I open a folder, or any shortcuts that open by Explorer (ex. my Computer) Search pops up. Then if I search something, and it shows a folder (and probably anything else opened by Explorer), when I try to open it, this kind of thing happens:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

There might be other things that I may not have noticed, but I'm sure about these ones.

I would sincerely appreciate your help. That is all...

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My rule of thumb for myself when I get several problems is to format the disk and reinstall Windows. I just invoked that rule on my Dell laptop 2 nights ago. The previous XP install on that machine was Dec., 2006. It was time for me to clean up! Maybe it's that time for you.

3. lyhipu9

lyhipu9 Thread Starter

Uh, I seriously don't think I'm that desperate yet. Anyways, all other aspects of my OS works fine, and it really isn't worth it, in my opinion.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your choice. :)

One of the fixes in this thread will probably fix the Explorer problem.

5. lyhipu9

lyhipu9 Thread Starter

I tried that solution, but my registry value is already none, even when I opened regedit on Guest. Remember, the Explorer problem is only on my Guest account. Also it seemed the when I click Control panel (on my Guest account), it tries to create a shortcut >_>. I don't think I want to touch that account again... I think I'll try disabling, and re enabling it later, maybe even deleting its folder on Document and Settings. I'm still open for alternatives.

6. A+Computer

A+Computer

Download -> unzip -> double click & give me results. Can you open files now?

Attached Files:

7. lyhipu9

lyhipu9 Thread Starter

Ok, I opened, and extracted it, what do I do now?

8. A+Computer

A+Computer

Double Click it.

9. m0oisnotcool

m0oisnotcool

I had a similar problem to your second one a while ago -> the cause of which (for me) was changing the base icon for "folder" (and corruption of?) in filetypes.
    The .reg fix below worked for me. Try running it (Note: It adds the default functions of double clicking folders to the registry).
    If it doesn't work, please go start -> run -> %windir% (for example) and if that works, go to the Tools menu -> Folder Options -> file types tab.
    Click all instances of Folder, file folder and drive and press advanced.. Can you list each of the commands for each instance? (eg explore and open or search).
    Just incase what I am seeing is not what I think may be the problem, can you go start -> right click my computer -> properties -> advanced tab -> environmental variables and tell me what is in the path variable (lower half of the dialog).
    Good luck

Attached Files:

10. lyhipu9

lyhipu9 Thread Starter

@A+Computer: I di what you said on my Admin account, but nothing changed. When I tried it on my Guest account, this error showed up:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

@m0oisnotcool: Right now it's getting late, and I have school tomorrow, so I'll try your solution tomorrow. G2G now.

11. m0oisnotcool

m0oisnotcool

alright, be sure to post your results ;)
    EDIT: The error dialog you posted a picture of mentions an invalid key that will be fixed in the .reg i provided, so running it should be sufficient
    EDIT:: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_folder_open.vbs This reportedly works as well.. rightclick -> save as... double click it

12. A+Computer

A+Computer

That's pretty much the same thing I just gave him m0oisnotcool. Sounds to me like his guest account has major reg probs. Best thing to do is delete it and make a new one. Remember it's just a guest account.

13. m0oisnotcool

m0oisnotcool

That is true. Either way, I noticed the correct answer has been posted upward in a redirection to a thread that involves basic registry editing.

14. lyhipu9

lyhipu9 Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply, I was trying out a lot of new stuff, and kinda got addicted to some of them :eek:... Anyways, as for this, I've tried everything, but that account is just messed up. It also seemed to be connected to recent CPU outbursts, up to 100%, along with a Network Service, Threatfire, and Explorer (there may be others...). For some reason that CPU outburst stops whenever I open Task Manager :confused:. I've decided to give up, and permanently disable it. I'll just create a new limited account for my Guests. Now, what about my other problems?

*Edit*
    I think I have fixed the CPU outburst problem. I used Process Explorer, and found that the service on the svchost.exe that was hogging resources was actually the DNS client, after whitelisting. It was goddam annoying :mad:, because stopped hogging resources when I opened Task manager all the time, except twice. After disabling it, the problem seem to be gone :) (for now at least). Lastly, please help me on my other problems, I promise to be more active and responsible :(.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice