1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

whoppix live cd

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by robweaz, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robweaz

robweaz Thread Starter

i downloaded an iso, mounted it and burned it's contents onto a cd and tried to boot from the cd. but it doesn't boot and its my first time using a live cd..i dont know anything about any other operating systems except windows....can some one help me?

2. arochester

arochester

Is your BIOS set to boot from the CD-Rom, or is it set to boot from the Hard Drive?

3. robweaz

robweaz Thread Starter

i had a problem with my cdrom...i was also wondering if i can use the whoppix system on a desktop pc, also can i use a belkin 802.11g wireless g desktop network card or do i need to get drivers off the net...thanks

4. arochester

arochester

Whoppix is described as " a stand-alone penetration-testing live CD" " designed for security auditors and penetration testers." Is that what you want?

It was based on Knoppix (hence WhOPPIX) but has been replaced by Whax, based on Slax (hence whAX).

It seems an odd choice for a first LiveCD.

"i was also wondering if i can use the whoppix system on a desktop pc". Your first problem seems to be getting the LiveCD to work. When you haven't even seen it yet, it doesn't seem relevant to say if you can use the Whoppix system on your PC.

If Whoppix is NOT what you want you would be much better to choose a more mainstream distro

5. robweaz

robweaz Thread Starter

i got the live cd to work but it didn't find the belkin card.....well then can you tell me what OS to use....one that i can install perminently and that finds my Belkin 802.11g 54 Mbps Desktop Wireless PCI Card so i can use programs like aircrack and kismet...because with windows i dont know of any programs that i can use to help me connect to a wireless network.

6. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

7. robweaz

robweaz Thread Starter

i downloaded whoppix from a torrent mounted the iso and selected copy cd with nero...then i booted from the cd and installed the os on the hard drive...but i'm not sure if i did it right...the partition should be ex2...right...do i have to maka a linux-swap partition too?

8. arochester

arochester

According to the Linux Emporium site on Linux Compatible Wireless Devices at http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/#pid81764 about Belkin 802.11g 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Card it says: "The PCI and PCMCIA versions below will run 'out-of-the-box' on Ubuntu 5.10 and 6.06 (click here for documentation); the rt2570 version of the USB stick also runs on an up-to-date Ubuntu 5.10, and Ubuntu 6.06."

I don't use Ubuntu but have Kubuntu which is closely related. Both Aircrack and Kismet are available for download and install through my repositories.

9. robweaz

robweaz Thread Starter

so your saying that i should download ubuntu and/or kubuntu? what versions should i get and where can i download them from?

10. arochester

arochester

11. robweaz

robweaz Thread Starter

well my machine is a 1 gig processor with 192 megs of ram and a 10 gig hard drive...if i download kubuntu should i get 6.10 EDGY or 6.06.1 LTS Dapper...whats the difference?

12. arochester

arochester

Edgy is more recent. With Dapper LTS stands for Long Term Support, though I have not found out about support.

192Mb of RAM is a tad low. The minimum should be about 256 Mb - though it should run, albeit more slowly. I have found ebay a useful source of memory.

13. robweaz

robweaz Thread Starter

i downloaded kubuntu 6.10 alternate...i installed it and when i rebooted the system it got to the login screen and asked for a username and password...during installation it asked for a password only and i made one...but what is the username?...because i didn't type one in and the installation didn't tell me what it was....is there a way to bypass login?

14. arochester

arochester

Username is the name you use to log on to the computer, not usually your real name. E.g. Username: arochester, real name: Alan Rochester. Sometimes the installation suggests a username and it can be gone in the blink of an eye. There are ways of retrieving username and/or password but they are more complicated. You can bypass login - but at least once you will need a username. KMenu>Advanced>Login Manager>Convenience>Administrator Mode> ENTER THE PASSWORD. The *buntus use the password to access "root" so you'll probably need to input it anyway

15. robweaz

robweaz Thread Starter

well i finally got the system(whoppix) up and running but the driver that came with my belkin card which is the 2500...won't install are there any other drivers for other cards that are compatable...or is there someplace where i cant get the drivers.....or are there different drivers for a linus os...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice