1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Who's on my wireless network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pierscoe1, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pierscoe1

Pierscoe1 Thread Starter

How can I find out who is using my wireless network, and what they're doing??

I don't want to stop someone from using it, but I want to find out when they are using it (connecting to my wifi router), and if possible what they're doing...

Is this possible?

the only thing I've found is in the router config system where I can see a "DHCP Allocation Table".. which has the computer names of what's connected.. but I want more info..

are there any programs I can download that give me more info, and alerts, for example, of when someone's using my wireless network..

any help would be great!

thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You enable WPA (or at least WEP 128-bit) encryption. Then the people on your network are the ones to whom you gave the passphrase. You can ask them to let you know what they are doing and when they are doing it.

And, of course, before giving the passphrase to somebody, you will make sure they are OK under the terms of your ISP agreement and somebody whom you can trust.

3. Pierscoe1

Pierscoe1 Thread Starter

that's not my point..

I want to know if there's a way of keeping track of peoples activities on my wireless network.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

That's a little extreme.

There are Network Monitors that can tell you whats going through your network. But as to see what they are doing, there is a program that allows you to direct connect to their machine. Other than that there's not much out there IMO

5. Pierscoe1

Pierscoe1 Thread Starter

ok.. thanks.
    where should I look for one of these 'network monitors' then?

6. coulterp

coulterp

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

There is also Snort, which is primarily a Linux program, but there is a Windows version too. Pretty decent too, but a pain to set up.

8. golddust

golddust

Why not just keep them out! Use MAC filter and only allow those listed to access the network. When we first set up our network we only had one machine that was wireless and before I learned how to set up the MAC filter, we had a Toshiba that would periodically pop up on the network - absolutely no idea who this was! I set up the MAC filter and set it to only allow listed computers access - never saw that Toshiba again. I have a Linksys router and it is located under Wireless>Wireless MAC filter.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

GD, I think he/she wants to keep track on the activities on his LAN, not the ones trying to get on it.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

11. golddust

golddust

I realize that but, unless he/she knows who they are - nothing was said about that, why go through the bother of wondering what they are doing.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

:) That's my thinking too :D

13. John Burns

John Burns

If you are using a router, you can get all kinds of info using WallWatcher. It is free - shows each pc using network and what they are looking at.

http://www.wallwatcher.com/

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467249