whos protecting who??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SPYTRA

recently i made an update on my system (windows98) from internet explorer 5 to internet explorer 6.0.2800.11061c
subsequently this turned into an error as my system subject to a dramatic slow down - in particular what is particularly annoying is that i cannot access one of my favourite dating sites (wont say name not sure if allowed?)
what happens is gain access to the site ok but after approximately 2 minutes every time a notice pops up
microsoft internet explorer 6 encountered a problem and needs to close down
the error notice attached is as follows:
error signature
appnamelexplore.exe appver 6 0280011006
modver 6.0.2800 11.o6
this error report includes information regarding the condition of m.i explorer when the problem occurred. the operating system version and computer hardware in use :your digital product id which could be used to identify your licence and the internet protocol ip address of your computer.
we do not intentionally collect your files names address email addrss and any format of present
however this report could contain specific information such as data for open files while this information can potentially be used to deternine your identity if present it will not be used.
unquote
it seems to be something to do with security and privacy but cannot really understand if it is a bug or virus or internet explorer error - never had this problem on internet explorer 5 but i suppose when trying something new on the internet it is always a risk.
any imput would be gratefully received

Is that version of IE compatible with win 98? Microsoft quit support for 98 so the newest IE may have something 98 didn't like...

Just a guess, but worth a look.

SPYTRA

to super-d-38
dont really know if latest internet 6 wholly compatible with win 98
- maybe time to upgrade
thanks yr reply

You can try "Fire Fox", it comes highly recommended from others on this site.. I must say I find it ok... I have both IE and Fox.. I use Fox for searching all over the web,you know the new sites you never been to, then IE for the sites I know but Fox won't display right..

Fire Fox will need "Plug-ins" for it to open some pages.. Though It will usually say what plug-in is needed.

Hi Spytra,

I used to run Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) with an up-to-date Internet Explorer Version 6.00.2800.1106 until early this March - mobo crowbarred.

I never heard of Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.11061c (must be recent) but would not hesitate to look it up at http://support.microsoft.com to verify that you needed the upgrade and that it applied to Windows 98.

I concur with Super-D-38 that you should try Firefox, but you will still need IE for any Microsoft sanctioned updates to Windows 98 and some websites required its use to render properly. Contrary to popular myth, MS still does support for a limited time Windows 98 if there is a serious security issue. It seems there are a large number of Windows 98 corporate users out there that need the support.

-- Tom

SPYTRA

To Super-d-38 and lotuseclat79
just tried firefox and it did the trick - many many thanks
take on board what you say about microsoft explorer
think maybe i mistyped version (i am only a novice)
cheers richard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online