1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Who's Your Hero?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by pyritechips, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I was recently involved in a misunderstanding concerning "heros". Dictionary definitions were promptly quoted to set me straight. But my point was missed.

But it got me to thinking at least, and I did come to one conclusion. Despite any formal definitions, "Hero" is, to me, a personal, relative thing. My hero won't be yours, and vice versa. So, putting aside "heros" that are promoted for entire nations to admire, why not take the opportunity and tell us all who your personal hero is? Here's your chance to honour someone you admire; someone who has made a difference in your life and/or neighbourhood. My purposes in this thread are not entirely unselfish. With all the tension lately due to various factors, I wanted a chance to climb upon the soapbox and champion somebody, past or present.

- - -

I elect the author Issac Asimov. It is not surprising that I choose a writer, considering my voracious appetite for books. But there was a time in my early twenties when books, and other things of good sense, took a back seat to some wild living. Life seemed to be an endless party. But one day I found a yellowed, dog-eared copy of "The Intelligent Man's Guide to Science, vol. 1". I put aside my partying long enough to read this fasinating, clearly written book. But it was more than just an interesting book. His style made me think, and better still, he made me like thinking. All too soon the book was finished and I wanted more.

I now have 100+ of his books, both fiction and non-. It wouldn't be farfetched to say that he saved my intellect. I owe him a debt I could never repay. Unfortunately, 1983 he underwent surgery to correct a bad heart. Even more unfortunatley the blood transfusion he received was tainted with the then little understood AIDS virus. He deteriorated slowly, lasting another 9 years and finally suffering a painful death in April 1992.

A mind is indeed a terrible thing to waste, but his words saved mine. It is a terrible irony that a man that dedicated his life to understanding and knowledge should lose it due to the ignorance of the times.

Isaac Asimov, my Hero. I miss you terribly, still, and I am not ashamed to say that I shed tears as I write this.

R.I.P.

- - -

Who changed your life for the better?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I think I have 3!
    Buddha
    Lao Tzu
    Confuscious

John

3. hewee

hewee

Hey my mom and dad for always being there no matter what.

4. BTex

BTex

Not really
    I have to nominate my grandmother "Mamma Chrane"

Dont think i have ever met a better person.
    She told me once that nobody in will see the developments that I have seen."I came to west Texas in a covered wagon and saw man walk on the moon"

5. SexyTech

SexyTech

This is a nice twist to Random!

I'd have to say that my "Heros" may be unconventional...but then again...aren't everyone's? it's all subjective to life experiences anyway!

#1 - Ayn Rand - Author and Philosopher!
    her books and philosophy have enspired my life as well as given me a solid path to travel down!
    John Gault Lives!

#2 - Tom Lovell - Astronaut and Mission Commander (Apollo 13)
    His journey ALMOST to the moon shows that if we persevere and handle what is thrown at us, even failure can be a success!

#3 - Peter Pan!
    he has shown that even despite the pressures of real life, there's still time to be a kid and just play!
    All you need is Faith, Trust, and A little Pixie Dust!

6. littlemar

littlemar

I have a couple that I'm in awe of and isn't that what heros are about.

My husband's grandmother Eunice Benning. She's in her 90's and has always been active. No slowing down for her. She raised 4 children alone after her husband died in a car accident and she took care of her father while he was alive. She belongs to several card clubs (which is helping to keep her mind sharp) When she drove she picked up friends to take them to the bank or shopping. When we want to visit we have to call to make an appointment. A more loving person you'll never find.

One of my friends from the Business & Professional Women group is 81 and I can't keep up with her. She is always busy with the committee's she's involved with plus is the Office Manager for her son's business. Always has time to listen if you have a problem and is a fantastic friend.

These are two women I would like to be like when I grow up. :) :cool:

7. GreenIs

GreenIs

Great Thread, as usual, Jim.:)

My hero's-

My first would definitely be my Dad. He's done some great things and it makes me so proud.

Secondly, any emergency response team out there, because they save those that actually need the help of a "hero".

Lastly, Princess Diana. She emulated peace, love and understanding like no other "famous" figure has been able to do. And her beauty gave her the classical fictional character ability to woo any one who watched her.

8. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Without a doubt, my Dad.

9. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I also can't forget my Brother. He is possibly a polar opposite of my Dad, but I would also consider him one of my heroes.
    Great thread Jim. Thanks!

10. Firejay

Firejay

First and foremost, both of my parents. After all they put with me for the first 21 years without throttling me too bad. Then it has to go to all my adopted parents that put up with me when I wasn't at home and made sure I didn't get into too much trouble but just enough so I learn from my mistakes (most of the time anyway). And last but definitely not least are all the service men and women, past and present, that allow me to live the way I choose. The only thing I can give them in return is my respect. I do tell them that while they're protecting mine throughout the world, I'm protecting their loved ones here. I'm not a hero, I'm a firefighter.

11. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Sounds pretty heroic to me Firejay. Thanks

12. sweets1981

sweets1981

Well, I would say my grandmother on my mom's side. She just meant the world to me... I miss her dearly. She taught me how to cook, sew and knit.... which are lost arts in people my age. I thank her for taking the time to teach me everything.

There is a person I also think of as a hero in a different way. They made me believe in myself and to stand up for what I believe in and what I want..... This person knows who they are and probably eveyone else can guess.:D

Melissa

13. ajdupont

ajdupont

Mine would also have to be my Dad.
    He survived as a Japanese POW for 3 years during WW II. After having to surrender on the tiny island of Corregidor. During that time he lost practically all of his eye sight due to starvation.
    He went on to marry and father 7 children. After the doctors told him he'd probably be sterile. He went on to work for the State of Louisiana for 33 years. And has been married to my mother for 56 years. He's 81 years old and still going strong.
    My Hero
    My Dad
    semper fi

ajdupont

14. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

My DAUGHTER... Bless her heart

My grandson, for his youthfulness and resiliency

My friends who walked the walk with us

15. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    My Parents.

They are there for me through thick and thin. They were there almost 26 years ago and made a loving choice to accept me into their lives and to love me like their own. To them I am eternally thankful.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice