1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why am I getting better/higher upload times when I bypass my router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imola Ghost

Imola Ghost Thread Starter

I have a brand new Linksys WRT610n dual band router. I've noticed that my internet connection has been less than desirable. I have Comcast and I just called them to tell them my problem and they told me to plug the modem directly into my computer and diagnose.

I have been consistently getting around 550-660 upload times and around 10000 kbps download. When I bypass my router altogether I still get the same download speeds but my upload speed goes to 850-950kbs. BTW, my ping times stay around 140 either way.

I used to run some speed tests and I would consistently get 15-16000kbps download and 12-1500kbps upload but I don't know what's going on with Comcast as I believe their service has gotten worse.

Any reason for this or is there something I can do? I need my router and it is a very good one but since I'm no computer IT guy I don't know what to do.

2. L8ian

L8ian

Hi,
    To be more precise,Fill the information given below,

when computer connected to the modem:

Upload speed:
    download speed:

When computer connected to the router:

Upload speed:
    download speed:

Internet connection speed provided by comcast?

l8ian

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Routers have a setting within them call MTU's. MTU is the "maximum transmit unit". It's the maximum number of bytes the router will send in a single packet. Your router may be set with a lower MTU than the maximum MTU that the ISP supports. Are you connecting to the router wirelessly or hard-wired to the router? I'm not positive but it may also be possible that encryption on the router may cause a slowdown or that there may be some known compatability issues with certain PC/Router combinations.

Regards,
    Rollin

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice