1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why are lions not as big as elephants?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by lotuseclat79, Jan 17, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Article here.

Carnivores are some of the widest ranging terrestrial mammals for their size, and this affects their energy intake and needs. This difference is also played out in the different hunting strategies of small and large carnivores. Smaller species less than 15-20 kg in weight specialize on very small vertebrates and invertebrates, which weigh a small fraction of their own weight, whereas larger species (>15-20 kg) specialize on large vertebrate prey near their own mass.

-- Tom

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Why don't you start a "trivia" thread or something and post this stuff in there--you're not supposed to post more than a few threads a week and it seems like you post a new one every day. If everyone did that, every thread would immediately drop back many pages.

3. lotuseclat79

This week I've only posted only 1 thread in Civ Debate and 2 including this one in Random.

I am aware of the Rules.

This "stuff" as you anoint it is more related to Science and poses enough of an interesting general question to most readers to warrant a post. The title is kind of catchy - don't you think? Its not really trivia as you assume.

I am not now nor have I ever been engaged in "forum flooding" for your information. I usually do use Search before I post unlike a lot of members.

Yours truly,

-- Tom

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

No--I just counted and you had 50 threads going back to 11/24/06, which was 54 days ago--that's about 6.5 threads a week average and its supposed to be now more than 3 to 4 so you are about double since you joined.

My point is a lot of the threads you post seem to be related to some little known scientific issue like this one about why lions aren't as big as elephants. I am simply pointing out that you could start a "Interesting Facts" thread or something--this would serve the purpose of not flooding and also would group these things together in one thread.

5. smooth

smooth

First Name:
    Garrett
    I agree with this point :D(y) I really find your articles interesting, but it would be a lot easier to find them if they were in one central location :) (y)

6. lotuseclat79

Hi Mulder,

Apparently, I had only 43 threads going back to Nov 24, 2006 as you counted threads (In All Open Forums) instead of just CD and Random.

Since I started posting in CD and Random, I have only posted 99 threads in 47 weeks for an average of 2.1/week. Granted, in recent weeks, my average has increased, but it has not been overly burdensome.

You should not make the claim that my average is double since I joined, as I joined TSG in Sep 2003, not Nov 2006. Perhaps you meant since I started posting in CD and Random, and you would still be wrong on my average, but even more so since I joined TSG.

It would be useful for TSG to have a tool that computes per month and then only for the group of users starting threads how many per week they post, then TSG could automatically issue a notice.

-- Tom

7. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

Mulder's just being consistent here, Tom. He's been on Shamou's case about the same topic.

Interesting reading(the physorg link), btw. (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice