1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why are my COM ports unavailable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grafx, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grafx

Grafx Thread Starter

I just set up an MSI K7t266-Pro2-RU, Althlon 1800+, and Windows XP Pro. I have a 56k PCI Winmodem, a

SCSI controller card and a graphics card. When i tried to install a serial digital camera memory reader on one

of the COM ports, it reported that none were available. The modem takes up COM 3. What could be using

COM 1 and COM 2? Is there a BIOS setting that might be messing it up? Any way to force the modem to take

a normal COM 1 or 2? Where do you find in XP which devices are using the COM ports?

2. Rockn

Rockn

COM 1 & 2 are your external COM ports. If your modem is on COM 3 it is using the COM1 IRQ. GO into the BIOS and see if both of your exteranl COM ports are enabled.

3. Grafx

Grafx Thread Starter

I checked the BIOS and the ports were on AUTO. Changing them to the ususal interrupts for COM 1 2 still made them unavailable. Any way to check what is using the interrupts?

4. Rockn

Rockn

Look in device manager to see what ports are being used and what IRQ's they are using.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice