1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why are my download speeds 5 X slower than my upload speeds?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hhannam, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Ordinarily the download speeds are approximately five times faster than the upload. I have a backup computer which is an Acer netbook that has the reverse situation. My speeds when tested were 1.25 mbs for download, and 5.6 mbs for upload.

Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on her?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    How did you test the speed? What OS is the backup computer using?

3. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    1. I used an online speed test website: https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

2. Acer Aspire One Netbook 722-0473, Windows 7 Home Edition OS

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have other devices connected and are they working OK or is it just your PC
    how are you connected to the router via a cable or wireless

5. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I have a ThinkPad laptop that is hardwired to my router and it is getting 30 mbs connections on testing (Comcast cable). I have tried both wireless and hardwiring the Acer but the speeds remain uneffected. A printer is also connected to the router. Nothing else is connected to the Acer netbook. Essentially, everything else is working just fine

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    delete all the temp files and internet cache
    What windows version are you on ?

Do a tcp/ip reset
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10

For Windows Vista through to Windows 10
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen )​

For Windows 8 & 10
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Windows + X Keys together and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
    Or Right click on the windows icon - bottom left hand side - A menuu appears - choose Command Prompt (Admin)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
    • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
    • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
    ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen )​
    Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Resetting , failed. - This error will occur with windows 10 , so ignore.
    Access is denied. - This error will occur with windows 8 and windows 10 , so ignore.
    But running TCP/IP reset still can resolve issues , even with the above errors.

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    We use a netbook 722 (different model) also connected wireless using Comcast with no problem.

Is this within the last week? I ask because when I tried to do windows updates this week, it took 45 minutes for that netbook to show any progress. An internet friend with a 722 (not sure what model) had the same issue in another state and on a different internet provider.

Could Windows be trying to update in the background? Could Windows 10 be downloading to be installed in the background? Either or both of these issues will slow down anything else you are doing in downloads.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice