1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why are my Edited mp4 many times Larger ???

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by BearKiller, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

As the title says, why are my edited mp4 video files many times larger in size than the longer running originals ?
    For instance, I just finished trimming a couple minutes from the end of a very short video and the resultant file is huge compared to the untrimmed original.
    Original MP4: 2,065 KB
    Shortened MP4: 63,496 KB

I have noticed this behavior to be consistent in all of my video editing.
    This behavior flies in the face of common sense; I would have thought that clipping minutes away from a video would result in a smaller file.

For what it is worth, I use ArcSoft ShowBiz to do my trimming.

Is what I am seeing normal behavior ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

2. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

If i remember correctly>>
    File size = bitrate x duration. To get a smaller file, you need a lower bitrate .

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    File Size is also determined by resolution
    What is the resolution of the Before & After video.
    What are your Preferences set to ???

The Free Media Info will give you the details

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  4. BearKiller

Thanks, guys.
    I know very little about digital video; but, thanks to you guys, I know more now than I did.

Original MP4: 2,065 KB
    Width: 320
    Height: 240
    Frame Rate: 15 f/s
    Total Bit Rate: 335 kbps

Shortened MP4: 63,496 KB
    Width: 1280
    Height: 720
    Frame Rate: 29 f/s
    Total Bit Rate: 10605 kbps

Dumb question, I am sure; but, even though my shortened video possesses more of all of these vital statistics, while I don't see it being logically possible, by doing so, have I increased the quality of the video ?

Thanks again.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    You're right .... It's not logically possible .... and NO
    Only Hollywood can zoom into a license plate 20 miles away and read it :D

The theory I use for pictures ...
    Double the pixels ... and it'll look the same ... at twice as far away ... and be 4 times the file size.
    Video is just a bunch of pictures at a frame rate.

Width, Height and Frame rate of Shortened is higher than original ... (bigger file size)
    Also ... W/H ratio is the aspect ratio. Wide Screen (1280/720 = 9/16=1.78) - or - narrow screen (320/240 = 4/3=1.33)
    Changing from narrow screen to wide screen requires cropping the original.

The best you'll ever have .... Is what you had originally.
    Higher Frame rate may be smoother, but not Better/Sharper.

I doubt that ArcSoft can make any improvements.
    I have it for converting VHS tapes (remember them ?) .... To Video ... Came with my digitizer
    For any editing or making DVDs, I use Adobe Premier Elements ... it can improve somewhat.
    If your going to getting into the video hobby much .... I suggest something better than Arcsoft.

More pixels (320/240) will reduce "pixelation" on a big screen.
    But adding pixels only makes it look smoother when viewed up close - or larger.

Are you going to be getting into videos ... and What's you Operating system ???

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  6. BearKiller

I did get ArcSoft Showbiz with a TOTMC video capture device.
    I have since replaced the TOTMC with an IODATA = same basic principle, just a lot better result.
    I don't intend to make this video business a full-time hobby; I just have a vast collection of VHS tapes that I have been slowly converting to digital before I run out of working VCRs and the occasional video that would benefit from a bit of cutting.
    If I am not benefitting things by creating such large files, are there settings in ArcSoft that I can change ?

As for O/S: Windows 7 Pro and Linux Mint Cinnamon 19

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'd try Preferences > Project > Aspect Ratio 4:3
    Then Others > Video Resolution 320x240 ...
    This should get you an output same as the original.

But with a newer higher res TV with bigger screen ... Maybe 640x480 would look better.
    but the file size will be 4 times larger.
    You'll have to decide which.

Years ago, I converted a bunch of Blue Grass VHS to digital
    and some really old Cowboy VHS to digital.
    I remember that these Old VHS needed alot of Brightness/Highlight adjustments to make the DVDs look better and I was only worried about the file size of a DVD .. Much bigger than VHS.

But nowadays for your own use on a newer TV ... DVDs are obsolete ...
    Flash drives are the way to go.
    File size is no longer too important to me.
    1.5 hrs & 5.5GB fits easily on YouTube.

8. BearKiller

Our TV has a USB port that I have never used; I never thought of loading a movie on a flash-drive and playing it that way.
    I am pretty old-timey; about the time I adapt to new technology, it is already outdated; I thought DVDs were cutting edge.
    I still have two working disc players and a pile of movie discs.
    Do you remember those ?
    The movie disc is bigger than a 78LP and enclosed within a plastic sleeve; you insert the movie, disc, sleeve, and all, in the player; the player releases the disc from the sleeve and ejects the sleeve; you watch half the movie; pop in the sleeve to extract the disc, flip the whole works over and repeat to watch the other half.
    The discs and players are actually a lot longer-lived than VHS tapes and players.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Except for Blu-Ray DVDs, the resolution of a DVD is only 720x480 and will only hold ~2hrs .....
    Much less definition than today's TVs.

Once a month, I upload ~1.5hrs of video at 1280x720 to YouTube for anyone who wants to stream to a wide screen TV. Anything bigger and the file size would probably be to big to mess with.
    I'm thinking that Streaming from YouTube is probably over everyone's head .....
    But about 2 years worth are there in HD and royalty free.
    I don't remember the movie disc's ... Wonder where I was ????

With the cost of SSDs dropping like a rock ...
    I'm thinking about making a USB external HDD to store Videos in for my Big Screen.

10. BearKiller

Thanks for the video !
    Is that you on the flat-top ?
    I am a big Doc Watson fan; my life's ambition is to pick Salt Creek, Bill Cheatham, and Billy in the Low Ground as good as Doc; the only person I have ever heard come close is a guy by the name of Ricky Lee that used to play for Ralph Stanley.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I always hide behind the camera ... Usually in the crows nest.
    I think Alec has a banjo with Ralph Stanly's signature, and others.
    I keep asking for a picture .... See what happens when you hand a kid a banjo

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice