1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why are my speakers buzzing?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Bramish, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bramish

Bramish Thread Starter

A few days ago I noticed a low buzz and tracked it down to my desktop speakers (Creative 245). It's not there all the time, and it never used to happen, and none of my setup has changed. It's almost inaudible, as in if I'm playing any sound from my comp it drowns out the buzzing, but I know it's there and consequently it's all I can focus on. So annoying. Any ideas?

2. stantley

stantley

You could try plugging your surge protector into a different outlet. Switch the plugs for the speakers and PC in different combinations.

Make sure there are no power lines running next to the speaker wires.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber

Also make sure the green plug into your computer is all the way in, and likewise, the connection plug in your primary speaker. I have gotten humming/buzzing whenever they're loose.

4. Bramish

Bramish Thread Starter

Tried that - still buzzing :(

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do the speakers have an amplifier? A volume control? Have you tried turning down the volume in Windows and turning up the speaker volume instead?

6. DKTaber

DKTaber

Well, the amplifier in the speaker with the controls may have gone 'south'. Just had that happen to the speakers on a VERY old (1999 Pentium II) computer belonging to an elderly couple. Went thru the same things you have, and nothing worked, so I told them to buy new speakers. They can be had for very few $$ unless you go nuts with subwoofers, 5-channels, etc.

7. Bramish

Bramish Thread Starter

These are only 6 months old :(

8. DKTaber

DKTaber

They can be 6 days old when the amp fails. You have to remember that this stuff is made in China (most likely). If they have a 1-yr. warranty, you should be able to get new ones or get those repaired for nada.

Before you do that, however, I had another thought. Do you have access to another computer, either in your home or at a friends? If so, you should try plugging your speakers into that computer to see if they do the same thing. If they do, it's the speakers; if they work fine, something is wrong with your wiring or with your sound card or onboard sound.

9. Bramish

Bramish Thread Starter

Good idea. Should have thought of that :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!