1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why are there low capacity SSD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drfootware, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drfootware

drfootware Thread Starter

Let me explain. the modern way to go, with a desktop PC, is to have an SSD, for the OS, and the updates, and a mechanical 7200rpm drive, for storage, and installed programs. My question is, if you install the programs to a separate drive, from the OS, and something goes wrong with the OS, and you have to wipe it out, and re-install, won't the DLL links to the programs, be broken? If so, how do you re-instate them? Thanks.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, if the OS is the only thing on the SSD and all programs are on a separate hd, then you would need to re-install programs. Besides DLLs, the registry on a newly re-installed OS wouldn't have the info on any programs previously installed. However, you can choose an Upgrade Install of Windows, that should keep/migrate most of the registry. But if the re-install was due to a malware issue, then it is better to start fresh.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    The OS and all installed programs are in my SSD.
    All Data (and backups) are X: & Y: & Z: (external HDD)
    I can rebuild my OS in the SSD in about 5 minutes from an Acronis image in X: Y: or Z:

Anything bigger than a 256 GB SSD for my OS is a waste.
    Why put installed programs in a HDD ... That will only slow down the OS load times.

Attached Files:

• 777.gif
      777.gif
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  4. drfootware

drfootware Thread Starter

So, what's the ideal thing to do? The OS, whatever updates, and installed apps, go on the SSD, then pictures, documents, music, videos, and general downloads, would go on a separate/external HD? Also, why is an SSD bigger than 256gb, a waste? Thanks.

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    It's all about the need for speed.
    The OS can always use it and more, the data base not so much.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Right.
    My W7 OS in the SSD is only around 100GB fully loaded.
    If the SSD is only for the OS ... I figure anything more than 250GB is wasted space/money.
    At least twice the space needed for the OS to work in.

Samsung 860 SSD ...... 250GB =~ $60 ...... 1TB =~ $140

My 1TB HDD Data drives are getting full ... (I do a lot of video editing of 1 >2hr HD videos)
    My Data drives are Western Digital Black series 1TB with a 5 year warranty =~ $70
    Data only in my HDDs does not slow me down.

I can select several Photos in my HDD and tell them all to open in Photoshop in my SSD ..
    Takes around 2-3 seconds .... That's fast enough for me ... Try that with the OS in a HDD.

Remember .. any data you don't mind losing is data you only have one copy of.
    So double the SSD or HDD prices.
    I also have a Backup SSD loaded/tested and ready to just plug in .... if/when needed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice