1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why are these USB flash priced so-o-o far apart?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Big difference in Read & Write speed ...
    Most have very slow Write Speeds ... Write speed not specified in the Samsung ????
    The Sandisc is equivalent to a USB external enclosure with a SSD.

I use a USB external with a SSD for transferring video files between computers ...
    and working on the videos in the external.
    This work would take way too long in a normal (Slow) USB flash.
    The Sandisc would be nice if it didn’t cost about 4x the price of an equivalent size SSD for my external enclosure.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. Alex Ethridge

I didn't know that two USB 3.1 storage devices could be so far apart in speed. I assumed that since both were USB 3.1, they would be at least close in read-write speeds.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Also .... Read speed is no indication of Write speed.
    Beware if both not specified.

You might have figured this out, (Like I did :D) ...
    If you Frequently Read/Write huge HD video files to/from flash.
    (I can feel the need for Speed :D)

Digital Still cameras also function faster with a good mem card ... (Write speed)
    I just ordered one of these ...
    In a couple days, I'll know how it it improves my Point and Shoot camera.

5. Alex Ethridge

I recently got this tablet and am looking for a connect-when-needed external storage. I'm looking for an affordable pocketable solution with as much speed as I can pack in at reasonable cost.

Yes, I've been using sites like this to help me select SD cards for my cameras for about the last three years.

I got two of these for my Lumix DC-GH5 camera. Speed mattered very much in it.

I got two Sandisk High Endurance cards for my dash cams. Speed wasn't as important as endurance on those.

And from my past experiences and research, when a seller leaves out an important specification (like write speed in this case), they are likely up to something sinister.

6. Alex Ethridge

I recently got this tablet and am looking for a connect-when-needed external storage. I'm looking for an affordable pocketable solution with as much speed as I can pack in at reasonable cost.

Yes, I've been using sites like this to help me select SD cards for my cameras for about the last three years.

I got two Sandisk High Endurance cards for my dash cams. Speed wasn't as important as endurance on those.

And from my past experiences and research, when a seller leaves out an important specification (like write speed in this case), they are likely up to something sinister.

7. Alex Ethridge

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You've got some interesting info above

For the cost considerations .. I'd suggest a SSD (Laptop) Enclosure with a SSD.
    I have an older version enclosure for my old SSDs.

I've been worried about SSD TWB endurance ... (because I was using a SSD in XP without trim)
    I have have started moving to a Samsung 260 for the OS in my W7 computers ...
    Because they advertised TBW Endurance improvements .

But the endurance TBW specs are hard to find .. or not specified.
    I've been wondering about this HP

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice