1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why as I suddenly unable to run either AdAware or Spybot?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wgreene, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I have used both AdAware and Spybot for several years now with hardly any problems at all. Now, all of a sudden, whenever I click on either on I get a message telling me that one may conflict with the other. For whatever reason I am now unable to run either program. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled both of them, but that didn't help either.

I thought I was getting somewhere with Spybot until I tried to get updates and the following message appeared:

Error retrieving update info file![/I

Shutting down and rebooting didn't help either.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who may be able to explain what's going on and how I might find a solution to this sudden and annoying problem.

In the meantime I'm using both SpywareBlaster and AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 without incident. Still, I'm baffled as to why I'm no longer able to run both AdAware and Spybot.

For what it's worth, I recently dropped Zone Alarm Security Suite and I'm now using Avast Anti-Virus 4.8 Home Edition and Comodo Firewall Pro.

Thank you.:confused:

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

3. John Burns

John Burns

I don't understand - I run BOTH Lavasoft Adaware 2008 and Spybot S&D on two home pc's with no problems????? I also run SuperAntiSpyware, Windows Defender, and Spyware Blaster on them - none of which conflict with any of the others.

4. speed_hog

speed_hog

I guess if you don't have problems then go for it;
    I am In spyware/malware bootcamp and the rule is to use only one at a time sorry thats what the teachers say :(
    I have run both also and had no problems on 2 pc's and one did have problems so there you go, there are a huge amount of hardware software configurations well into the millions and some will work and some will not
    I am also a software/hardware test engineer and we ALWAYS get mixed results doing stuff like this. so you are getting lucky and are probably very experienced based on the joined date of July 1999 and the amount of posts you have... :)

5. John Burns

John Burns

Just hope someone can figure out the problem wgreene is having - will look around for possible causes.

This is one which might cause it:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/compatibility/adaware.html

One question: Are you using AdAware SE or AdAware 2008? SE seems to have update problems in some situations.

6. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I too have always had Spybot and Adaware for years and never had any problems with either of them,Im guessing that he just had a problem at the time with trying to download the update from Spybot (it happens from time to time) with some of the download sites they give you the option to,maybe trying another download site will give a better result,its worth a try ....I also have Spywareblaster running all the time ....it must be something to do with the changes he has made in his programs of late that is causing the problem,probably in the configurations somewhere (who knows) just for the record my Anti-Virus is AVG free and my firewall is Sygate personal,none of them clash with each other .....A suggestion is that if he is using Adaware 2008,that he go back to Adaware 2007 and try it that way, I didnt like Adaware 2008 at all :D....Ive found over the years that just because its new doesnt mean its better ;)

7. speed_hog

speed_hog

While were on the subject what version of Spybot are you running?
    I have it on all 6 of my PC's and about half of them are immunized for firefox and half aren't whats up with that ?
    And I REALLY like Spybot and I am using version 1.6.0
    All settings are default...

8. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Funny you should ask that,I had to look to find out, :D and found it was version 1.5.2.20 and you saying you had version 1.6 caused me to look if I was not using the latest version,and of course I wasnt, so I have now downloaded 1.6 version, so thanks for the memory jogger, cant understand how I missed the update news as I update Spybot every week without fail ....cant answer your question about firefox is not immunized as I dont use it,although I do have it on my computer and in Spybot it is ticked as immunized ....

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Although conflicts may develop, the senior security people here at TSG have recommended more than one anti-spyware program be used, since they use different methods and are apt to find varying infections. If a conflict should occur, simply eliminate one of the combatants.

Of course, only one anti-virus program should be active, or even installed, according to one knowledgeable person.

{redoak}

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

There is nothing wrong with running a multitiude of spyware programs on the same system though some like Spysweeper will slow you down in use with others, but why Spybot and Adaware anyway, they are old technology and nothing any of the gurus would recommend anymore for anyting serious anyway. Try Superantispyware and Malwarebytes, they are today's software imho.

11. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I installed the 2007 version of AdAware and ran it without incident, so perhaps there'll be no more conflicts with SpyBot. I'll run SpyBot shortly to see if any problems arise.

Thanks again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731152