1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why BIOS does not recognize new HDD in Compaq Presario Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goldcoin, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Goldcoin

Goldcoin Thread Starter

Hello! I'm new here to these forums hoping to find a solution to this problem that has been bugging me for days and keeping me from setting up my computer.

Basically after several years, I am finally dealing with the loss of my Hard-Disk drive that came with my computer. I have bought a new Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ as a replacement, and I am having trouble setting it up. Here are a few Specs for my computer:

Compaq Presario SR1303WM
    AMD Sempron 3000+
    BIOS Revision 3.11
    Mother Board: ASUS A7V8X-LA

It's a bit of an older computer. The HDD that failed me used the old ATA standard, and I am going from that to SATA II (3 Gb/s). My motherboard does have two SATA ports on it, but I don't think the motherboard supports 3 Gb/s transfer rate. Only 1.5 Gb/s. I have an SATA cable that connects directly from the HDD to the MoBo as well as a power converter that I use to connect power to the new HDD. I am using a jumper on the fifth and sixth pins ::[:]: <--- looks like that. The reason I am using a jumper is because I have read by other people that this puts the device into the 1.5 Gb/s mode, although I'm not entirely sure. The Samsung manual my HDD came with says that in order to put the drive into this mode, you must download and use their software from their site, www.samsung.com/hdd which I have tried and failed. When I run Samsung's software, I get the error: "Error reading from drive L: data area: drive not ready (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?". I'm not sure why it does this, but again I'm not even sure if I need to use the software when I have the jumper... I must say with everything connected and with the jumper in place or not, my BIOS will not recognize my drive at ALL. I have tried using the IDE HDD Auto-Detection like the Samsung manual says to do with no effect. I have made sure Parallel Port and Serial Port A are enabled under I/O Device Configuration in the BIOS. It does give me certain options underneath that talking about a location or something like that...

I'd really appreciate if somebody could help me out here. If it matters, I'd like to put Windows 7 or XP on the drive. As far as I know all the cables are working fine. I can hear the HDD when I turn on the computer, but again it is not recognized.

Thanks!

Person Having Similar Problem, but no solution: http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/483231-sata-drivers.html

P.S. Plug-And-Pray - Indeed

2. Sponsor

3. bigbear

bigbear

To be honest there is no real advantage in using a sata drive in such an old system, it would be much simpler to use a pata drive, you would not notice the difference in seek times between them
    That said, you need to load the sata drivers in order to use the sata drive.
    These are usually copied to a floppy disc and installed at the F6 prompt BEFORE windows is installed.

4. Goldcoin

Goldcoin Thread Starter

Where can I find these drivers, and what would be the proper way to put them on a disk?

Thanks.

5. bigbear

bigbear

6. Goldcoin

Goldcoin Thread Starter

Why's that? I don't understand how I would be able to use RAID (which I don't want to) and not be able to use just one HDD.

7. Goldcoin

Goldcoin Thread Starter

And by chance could I install drivers with an OS disc?

8. Goldcoin

Goldcoin Thread Starter

9. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Samsung drives seem to have issues with older motherboards and motherboards using VIA chipsets all have issues with the newer SATA 3GB/s drives. My recommendation would be to exchange the drive for a PATA/IDE drive as that will work better.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910580