Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why can I not open MeWe.com in my Firefox browser?

5K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
For the last week I am unable to open MeWe.com in my Firefox browser even though it opens just fine in Microsoft Edge. When I click on the bookmark nothing happens and when I cop/paste the address from Edge, it just goes back to the page it was on. It refuses to move and I don't know what could be causing it.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200529132248.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 476 GB (261 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 22FB, ver KBC Version 04.24, s/n PEZXT1BK99Q0B8
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - 1, s/n 8CG5500NM2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

#2 ·
I am able to view https://mewe.com/ in my Firefox browser version 88.0.1 with no problems and using the AdBlocker Plus add-on. Is that exactly is what is showing in your Firefox address bar or are you ending up on another page on the site?

Are you getting a blank page or some kind of error message? If you are getting a blank page, what happens if you right-click inside the blank page and select "View page source"?

#8 ·
Hope you are feeling better. I can't quite tell if you tried the two items below.

what happens if you right-click inside the blank page and select "View page source"?
If you click on the link in my earlier post, are you saying that nothing at all happens and you are still on this Tech Support Guy page? If that is the case what happens if you right-click on the link and select "Open Link in New Private Window"?
And, a new request. What happens if you restart Firefox with all add-ons temporarily disabled and try to access the page using the link in my earlier post?

#4 ·
If you click on the link in my earlier post, are you saying that nothing at all happens and you are still on this Tech Support Guy page? If that is the case what happens if you right-click on the link and select "Open Link in New Private Window"?

#6 ·
Corrupt bookmark in Firefox?
Open it in Edge, copy the url.
Paste the url that opens into Firefox's address bar.
If it opens, replace the non-functioning bookmark with the new working bookmark.

I'm using FF 78.10.1 ESR and the page opens for me.

#12 ·
I believe the latest stable version is Firefox version 88.0.1. Is that what you are running?

Before doing an unistall/reinstall try restarting Firefox in Troubleshoot mode (Menu: Help -> Troubleshoot Mode ... -> Restart). If the problem page seems to load OK, you probably have some add-on preventing the page to load and possibly blocking the right-click context menu.

#13 ·
I have version 88.0.1 and I have exactly the same problem that beswickd has described. Firefox completely ignores every request to go to MeWe.com. I can type it directly in and it never loads the page. It doesn't give any error, the tab title never changes from "New Tab" to "MeWe", and the view page source shows the default Firefox information that gets created from a fresh new tab.

#14 ·
Hi, kirkdickinson, and welcome to TSG.

We normally request that members with the same problem start a new thread rather than add a "Me too" post in an existing active thread. Since I have not heard from beswickd for a little while, we can work on your problem here for now.

I have exactly the same problem that@ beswickd has described.
I just clicked on the link in my Post # 2 and get what appears to be the correct login webpage for MeWe with the title of "MeWe - The Next-Gen Social Network". Have you tried the link using troubleshooting mode in Firefox, as described in my post # 12?

#17 ·
I get right click menu normally. I work on websites and use the "Inspect" feature from there quite a bit. That seems to work on every page except MeWe. The right click doesn't bring up dialog box at all.

I am using Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
OS build 19042.985
Experience 120.2212.2020.0

Everything worked fine until a recent Firefox update. Don't remember if it was the most recent update or the one before. I check all my programs and update at least twice a month.

#18 ·
I find not getting the popup context menu on the problem page very strange and a brief Google search did not come up with any recent mentions of any such problem.

Does doing a Crtl+u on the problem page show any source code? Here is what I get for it.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title>MeWe - The Next-Gen Social Network</title><meta property="og:title" content="MeWe: The best chat & group app with privacy you trust."><meta property="og:description" content="Brilliant features with no BS. No Ads. No Spyware. MeWe is the Next-Gen Social Network."><meta name="description" content="Brilliant features with no BS. No Ads. No Spyware. MeWe is the Next-Gen Social Network."><meta property="og:image" content="https://cdn.mewe.com/front/app/logos/mewe-500-2.jpg"><meta content="app-id=918464474" name="apple-itunes-app"><link rel="mask-icon" href="https://cdn.mewe.com/front/home/mewe-logo-mask.svg" color="#303d4c"><link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://cdn.mewe.com/front//favicon.ico"><link rel="dns-prefetch" href="\\cdn.mewe.com"><link rel="dns-prefetch" href="\\img.mewe.com"><link rel="manifest" href="/manifest.json"><link rel="shortcut icon" href="/assets/favicon.ico"><link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="512x512" href="static/pwa/icon_512x512.png"><link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="384x384" href="static/pwa/icon_384x384.png"><link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="256x256" href="static/pwa/icon_256x256.png"><link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="192x192" href="static/pwa/icon_192x192.png"><link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="128x128" href="static/pwa/icon_128x128.png"><link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="96x96" href="static/pwa/icon_96x96.png"><meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-title" content="MeWe"><meta name="application-name" content="MeWe"><meta name="mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes"><link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="https://cdn.mewe.com/front/apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png"><meta property="og:type" content="website"><meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,minimum-scale=1,maximum-scale=1,user-scalable=no"><script type="text/javascript">var _paq = window._paq || [];_paq.push(['trackPageView']);_paq.push(['enableLinkTracking']);(function() {var u="//secure.mewe.com/";_paq.push(['setTrackerUrl', u+'uBk4jrxN.sec']);_paq.push(['setSiteId', '1']);var d=document, g=d.createElement('script'), s=d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];g.type='text/javascript'; g.async=true; g.defer=true; g.src=u+'uBk4jrxN.js'; s.parentNode.insertBefore(g,s);})();</script></head><body><noscript><center><p>JavaScript is disabled</p><p>You need to enable JavaScript to use MeWe</p><p><a href="http://www.enable-javascript.com/" target="_blank">Show me how to enable it</a></p></center></noscript><script src="https://cdn.mewe.com/front/home.chunk-5d8dc665bb99bf609d9c.js"></script><script>if ('serviceWorker' in navigator) {
window.addEventListener('load', function() {
navigator.serviceWorker.register('/sw.chunk-5d8dc665bb99bf609d9c.js', { scope: '/', registrationStrategy: 'registerImmediately' });
});
      }</script><script>var ajax = new XMLHttpRequest();
ajax.open("GET", "/app/svg/generated/svg-icons.svg", true);
ajax.send();
ajax.onload = function(e) {
var div = document.createElement("div");
div.innerHTML = ajax.responseText;
document.body.insertBefore(div, document.body.childNodes[0]);
      }</script></body></html>

#19 ·
I get nothing. It takes me to a completely blank page and the URL says:
Code:
view-source:about:blank
From a new tab, I get the popup menu and the ctrl-u. But there are frequently used items displayed on that page. The MeWe.com page just refuses to load.

MeWe loads fine on Google, Brave, and Edge on this same computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.